Bent grass in lawns

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Uranus, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Hey guys I'm looking for an answer to several complaints I've heard over the years about bent grass. Up here in Mass we get the light green patches in our lawns and customers complain. There's not much you can do other than use a selective spray, round up or prosecutor. Overseed or spot seed and wait till the grass comes up and fills in the nice yellow spot you just made. I need a correct reason to how it spreads and where it comes from. I've asked former bosses and then when I went solo I asked the owner of a fert company that I refer. Not to happy with the answers I got so I come here looking for some incite to how and where it comes from.

2. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

i woud probably make sure that it is bentgrass, first and foremost. then you can apply treatmant as needed. Heavy aerification and overseeding should be able to take care of smaller patches. Bentgrass likes alot of n and will thrive at longer heights if it is near a low lying area, so make your adjustments from that also.

3. The Ranger

The Ranger LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

If it is bentgrass it is a more aggressive species than the desireable species of turfgrass in a home lawn. Non selective control and reseeding is the only method of control at this time. It comes from the same place as all weeds and other undesireable grass comes from......Mother Nature. Wind, rain, birds spread the seeds. It allso sounds like you might be talking about poa triv which is apple green in color in circular patches in early spring. Aggressive aeration can make the problem worse in some cases.

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic