Bent grass on putting greens...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mkwl, Apr 2, 2006.

1. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a client who has a large practice putting green in his back yard. Anyway, he wants to have it re-seeded this spring. I need a bent grass that grows well in part shade. Anyone know what variety of bent should be used?
  2. mkwl

3. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

No expert on bent grass but don't they use plugs on greens?
  4. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

There is different types... I am an assistant superintendent on a golf course. I would call your local Lesco dealer and they can tell you what kinds they have. Bentgrass is very very expensive... what are you mowing this with ? You have a greens mower? Best of luck with this project. Try getting some baged dry sand very fine and top dress it and broom it in for him. This will also help, do this once or twice a month .Good luck.. post some pictures of your problems.
  5. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

The most stable variety of Agrostis Palustris (Bentgrass) is Penncross.
    Penncross is a true industry stable regarding bents, it grows well, does not require the verticutting, topdressing and aerification of the newer varieties, and responds very well to non-salt containing fertilizers like Milorganite, Earthworks, Sustaine and Ringer.
    Dependent upon the height of cut the green is being maintained at, I would suggest your customer invest in a true greens roller, rather than maintaining a higher frequency of mowing.
    Factor in the costs of the mowing for six days versus mowing for three and rolling for three - your customer will be much happier.
  6. elamey

elamey LawnSite Member

Pencross or PennEagle....both VERY good.
  7. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

why didn't it make it? see if you can fix problem so you aren't doing this every year. Also, do you take care of putting green? if so what kind of magement practices do you use? if you lost grass due to shade, you need to check for algae and internal drainage.
    swd you cannot roll a green three days a week. The amount of compaction would be too great for the green and new seeds.
  8. lawncare18

I doubt that the homeowner will go out and buy a greens roller they are not cheap machines... its is a backyard putting green.. id be surprised if hes cutting it with a walk greens mower to be honest..
  9. mkwl

Okay, I'll try penncross bent. The client mows it with a Great States manual reel mower, and rolls it once per week. I'll try putting down some sand as well. Would aerating help?
  10. lawncare18

Aerate it then shovel up the plugs... then get baged dry dry sand in a spreader on a medium duty seting.. then let it sit for a little say an hr then broom it in... it will take time to see results but it will work .. Pnetcross is going to be expensive hope you understand that..