1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bent Grass?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by RedWingsDet, Jul 20, 2006.

1. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

this type of grass is not common around here.

I have a customer with Bent, and there are several brown spots. Also, it seems like it grows weird, almost like it doesnt penetrate into the ground, more of it just keeps growing ontop of eachother and the roots just are a tangled mess underneath the blades.

I always cut it at 5" and I always have sharp blades, and Bag it. She waters it every other day and has a fertilizer company.

Its kind of hard to explain, but hopefully someone can tell me whats going on with this.

Thank You!
  2. golfguy

golfguy LawnSite Member

The only way to make that lawn decent is to renovate out all the bent.

My home has a bentgrass lawn and it is a complete ***** to take care of.

First off bent does not like to be cut at 5". Even at the 1 1/2 height that I am using I still experience the same effect in which you are speaking. It is a knarly matted effected and brown about 1/2 way down the leaf blades.

Basically you have 2 choices on that lawn 1. Either mow it tight at approximately 1/2 inch or 2. Renovate it.

It is what is and basically fertility and water practices will do little to cure it.
  3. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Renovate it, hack off 4.5 inches and slap a tiff mower on it and hand the woman a putter. Bentgrass is very comon for putting greens on golf courses, didnt even know you could grow it to 5" WOW
  4. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

what is a tiff mower?
  5. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

You don't want bent in a home lawn. It ikes to be mowed short. Like below 1 inch. Golf courses measure theirs in millimeters. It also is susceptable to every lawn disease known to man. Fungicides cost a fortune. They are also very susceptable to pesticide/fertilizer burn. You have to use a very low rate on most herbicides. In the fall, kill it and over seed.
  6. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Upidstay is right. Bent grass needs to be short and short means lots of fungus/disease since it is kept rather wet.

A tiff mower or reel mower has a finer cut and is able to cut much closer to the ground than your conventional rotary mower.

Greens mowers are specifiacally for an extremely close cut and have a roller to make that tight green nice. Greens are usually cut daily, or every other day at home. Lots of work.