1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Bent my ztr deck / need a used one!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by T.E., Oct 12, 2004.

1. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

I bent the deck on my 52" ztr does anyone know where I might get a used one, or one from someone else other than a dealer? The dealer wants $969.00 for one. Thanks, Tony

2. environment

environment LawnSite Member

how bad is it dented, I remember years back, my mother drove my father 48 off a 4ft high rock wall, dented is bad, he actually was able to bring it to his welder and salvage it, they somehow bent it back and added reinforcement to the areas that got really bad

3. T.E.

i've tried too bend it back but its pretty bad. so far no luck

4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

what year, brand, model and size is the mower? i'd take it to a fabrication/welding shop and at least have them look at it. I'm betting it can be fixed, I'd about put money on it actually. Anything can be fixed and mower decks are pretty easy, just make sure it's square and straight when they're done.

5. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

What about going to a body shop? I once "forgot" to lock the brakes on my 48" wb. It rolled out the back of my truck. The discharge chute caught the tailgate and it came down on an angle. Hit the left rear corner of the engine deck on the ground while the chute was caught on the tailgate. Bent it so bad the right front wheel was 6" off the ground. Took it to a welding shop and he welded "legs" to the corners of the engine deck and then to a steel road plate. This kept the rear of the mower parallel to the ground. Then he used a loader bucket to push the mower deck back down. It wasn't pretty, but it worked! Think it cost $100 to do it. Give it a shot.

6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Yep, done that many times, either go to a welding shop, fabricating shop, or a car-frame straightening shop, been to all 3 over the years. :)

Anyways, usually just have to heat it up a LITTLE and bend it back.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

The main question is.... Is the deck top bent?

Do some hard core investigation....

8. T.E.

thanks for the replys, i will try some of your ideas. no the top is not bent. where it is bent is in the front of the deck near the discharge. so that the corner of the discharge is plowing the ground. the areas where the spindles are located are not bent just the corner. thanks Tony

9. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

take it to a weldor, you could have it fixed in under an hour

10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Do you mean the front corner is bent down in the front side of the discharge chute??

If that's the case, a large pipe wrench with a piece of pipe on it, you can just bend that right back yourself.

It may not be perfectly straight, but at least you can use your machine.