1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bent or Straight shaft?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by heybruck34, Mar 9, 2003.

1. heybruck34

heybruck34 LawnSite Senior Member

I've finally decided to buy a stick-edger and was wondering bent or straight shaft. I saw another LCO asking about one and the dealer made the comment "No matter what get one with a straight shaft..."

Coincidentaly, these are more expensive... so I'm asking the pros.

Are straight shaft ones THAT much better or was he trying to "pad his pocket" a little?

I've had very good experience with this dealer over the last 10 years so keep this in mind.

Echo and Stihl are my top runners. Thanks ya'll.
  2. ParkerLawn

ParkerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

I use all Stihl equipment and prefer the straight shaft.
  3. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

I will keep this simple...
    Straight shaft professional..
    Bent Shaft Scrub.....
  4. Ditto:blob3:
  5. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I must be the biggest scrub there is then. All we use is bent shafts so I MUST BE A SCRUB. I am 5 feet 8 inches tall and the straight shafts are to hard to use for me ( I have to reach to high to use them) so if you are tall go with a straight shaft but if you are shorter than 6 foot you might want to try a bent shaft.
  6. Matt'slawncare

Matt'slawncare LawnSite Member

There was a good post about this a few months ago and has good information on it, i would check it out. :D
  7. TaussigLawnCare

TaussigLawnCare LawnSite Member

really if you are used to bent shaft use a bent shaft and if you are used to straight lol it just a matter of preference I used 2 echo straights most the summer then the both got stolen and I had to go to my curved for awile and got used to that and loved it but I am back to straights again
  8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

The curved ones will use a cable drive and most straight ones use a shaft drive. IMHO I do not beleive the cable drive will be a problem but if I were to choose I might go with the shaft driven one.
  9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Oh, I guess I'm a scrub. My curved edger attachment for my FS 85RT works just fine. I don't think it makes all that much difference, although I haven't tried a straight. I guess if you were tall it would work well, but if not, go for a curved.
  10. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

This is correct. A shaft drive is stronger than a cable and will outlast a cable. Thus the cost difference. There are even steel shafts available.