Bent Scag Velocity plus deck

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by dbroken64, Oct 30, 2009.

1. dbroken64

dbroken64 LawnSite Member

Have you guys heard of the deck being bent easily? The deck looks like it is built like a tank but the dealer tells me my deck was bent. I have owned this wildcat for 3 yrs and never remember hitting anything hard enough to bend the deck. They worked on it and re leveled my deck and it cuts fine now but the bent issue bothers me.

2. SS Lawn Care

SS Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Sorry so late. My deck has been cutting really bad lately on my Scag Tiger Cub 61. By bad, I mean that the left and center blades cut about 1/4" or more lower than the right side blade. Even between the left and center blade there is a slightly higher strip left between them. Spindle bolts, blades, and spacers are all new, and deck is leveled to the best of my ability. The deck still thoroughly cuts and discharges, just at various heights along a cutting path. I briefly asked our local Scag dealer service manager about it, and he mentioned it could be a worn out spindle or two, or it could be that the deck is bent. He said it has happened before and it is not obvious to see while on the mower. I wonder how much that costs to repair? Is it more common on the larger decks like the 61" vs. 48"

3. dbroken64

dbroken64 LawnSite Member

This post was a long time ago and I still own that same Wildcat . I have rebuilt the deck due to worn metal. I have a issue with the deck now cutting slightly lower on the discharge spindle. Not as noticeable on higher cut settings

4. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

THIRTY MINUTE DECK STRAIGHTENING

Remove the deck

Remove the blades

Cut 5 or 6 blocks of 6x6 to support the deck

Insert steel or pvc pipe in the spindles as pointers to determine the bend

PLACE THE BLOCKS UNDER THE DECK IN THE CORRECT PLACES TO ALLOW THE STRAIGHTENING TO BEGIN.

Massage the deck with a BFH until the pointers are all vertical and equidistant from each other

Reassemble the deck and go make some money.