1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bentgrass invasion

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by stumper69, Oct 25, 2007.

1. stumper69

stumper69 LawnSite Member

First time posting hope you guys can help. I have bentgrass overtaking my yard & I'm starting to see it in some customers yards as well. Is there a product that will kill bentgrass but not harm other turf grass.Thanks for your help.I am a certified applicator in the state of Wisconsin.Thanks Again.
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Roundup. It has to be sprayed,...wait a few weeks, and sprayed again.
  3. stumper69

stumper69 LawnSite Member

I did roundup in the front yard. I was hoping there might be something to just kill the bentgrass & not everything.
  4. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

So does everybody else in the biz...good hunting.

5. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Tenacity kills Bent grass but not blue grass. Last I heard it will be one the market in spring of 2008. Saw at results of it at summer field days in Madison. Best part it will require three applications.
  6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Manor herbicide, a new product--metasulfuron is a possibility. Maybe it is the same product as above. However--Manor kills ryegrass dead. How much rye is in the the lawn in question? Very expensive--but you only use about an ounce per acre.
    The link.
  7. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

Tenacity is new but shows promise.

I would make a decision based on how extensive it is in the lawn.
    Large areas use roundup, just starting to move in go with Tenacity
  8. lescojdl

lescojdl LawnSite Member

I have always been told high doses of 2-4,d and other phenoxy herbicides will stunt bentgrass. Also mowing height can decrease available sunlight and crowd it out. Is this an upright bentgrass or a creeping variety?