Bentgrass vs Bermudagrass

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by JDUtah, Dec 5, 2007.

1. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Hello, I have been doing some research on different control techniques for these two grasses and some questions have surfaced.

I understand that bermudagrass can spread through rhizomes, stolons and seed.

I have found that bentgrass can spread through seed and stolons, but
    my question is does bentgrass also use rhizomes to spread?

Also, bermudagrass is an uphill battle and has a tendency to keep coming back in the same spot after treating, does bentgrass act the same way, or once a spot is taken care of is it good?

Thanks in advance!

2. JDUtah

from UT

PS, the reason I'm asking about the rhizomes is because if bentgrass doesn't spread that way, it seems you could properly treat it by...

Removing a section of grass with a sod cutter and installing new sod in that section with a localized treatment of pre-emergent. No rhizomes would = no new sprouts.

Has anyone seen success from this technique?

Thanks again!

3. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

JD, You make bentgrass control in the home lawn sound so easy!
    (It's not)

No, creeping bentgress does not spread by rhizomes, only by stolons, and if you let it go to seed.
    The inherent problem with the beast is in it's design, in that it's often 'low' and 'under the canopy' of the other existing turf grass in the lawn.
    And just like other works of the devil like poa annua and nimblewill you may work with sod cutting or whatever chemical methods to get rid of it, only to find out later that there was MORE of it 'hidden' in different areas!
    ...I don't recommend sod cutting...go talk to a good golf super in your area, at an older course!

A lot of golf course supers swear by 'Bent Grass Selective' herbicides, which are essentially watered down versions of triplet,trimec or three-way. This formulation just allows you to repeat the applications in a pattern more closer together, without likely harming adjacent turf.
    I think this is your best bet...

4. JDUtah

from UT

Thanks for the info. It helps a lot. Once the snow melts I will go visit a golf course seeing as there is one like you describe a mile down the road ha-ha!

5. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

ha! ha! back!
    Could that very golf course be the source of the bentgrass infestation you're talking about in the first place???
    :laugh::laugh::laugh:

That happens all the time around here.