BERKELEY SSHM-2 Pump got Flooded

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by tonyvol, May 19, 2013.

1. tonyvol

tonyvol LawnSite Member
    from Cumming

Hey guys, Well, the weatherman was wrong again. He said last night that we would get around a 1/2 in. of rain over night. Woke up this morning to over 6 in. of rain in the rain gauge. My BERKELEY SSHM-2 Self-Priming Pump is submerged under 5 ft. of water. Is this pump ruined? :cry: Pump is under a pump house that is poking up through the water.

Thanks,
    Tony

100_1274.jpg

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Not to worry, you can always replace the motor if necessary, all the while kicking yourself for placing a pump in harm's way. :hammerhead:

3. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Like Boots said, pumps are meant to live outdoors but not underwater. A good air drying and some sort of electrical component spray will help.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Classic Lighting

Classic Lighting LawnSite Senior Member

Wrong thread

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

This confirms an opinion of mine that some pumps might best live on some sort of float tethered to a pier, if water levels can rise significantly.

6. tonyvol

tonyvol LawnSite Member
    from Cumming

Sounds like a good idea. I guess you would need some type of flexible pipe to allow the supply line to rise with the float? Do they make such as thing? I needed to have a short suction line for the pump to work with my irrigation system. If I knew that we were going to get so much rain, I would have unhooked the pump and moved it to higher ground. Oh well. The water level in this lake doesn't normally rise this much, but this is what happens when you get 6 in. of rain in less than 6 hrs. First time if 15 yrs. that it has gone over the dock.

100_0848.jpg

7. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Senior Member

might be ok after drying out, if it didn't run while submerged.

8. tonyvol

tonyvol LawnSite Member
    from Cumming

Power was off to pump when it got submerged. What is the best way to dry this thing out?

9. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Senior Member

air. a backpack blower maybe?

10. tonyvol

tonyvol LawnSite Member
    from Cumming

Ok, thanks for the help. I'll try to dry it out before I put power to it and hope for the best.