Berm

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by qcontrol23, Jul 10, 2008.

1. qcontrol23

qcontrol23 LawnSite Member

I have a client who wants me to install a 3-4' high and 125' long berm in their back yard. I have never had a berm project and need guidance on how many man hours this will take and if anyone has any pointers on things i might not know about this project.

2. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

What are you using to construct the berm?

3. qcontrol23

Mostly dirt but mulch over the top

4. JohnnyRoyale

I dont mean to sound sarcastic, but Noooooooooo REALLLLLLY?!?!? :hammerhead:Dirt? :hammerhead:

What i was referring to was;
    How was the dirt going to get there? and while we're at it,
    What are you using to shape the berm?
    Whats the purpose of the berm?
    Do you have any idea how much dirt your going to need?
    Where is this new berm in relation to where the dirt is being dropped off?

5. qcontrol23

It will get there by dump truck. I will shape it with a bobcat, its purpose is for looks and to knock down noise. Im trying to figure out how much dirt i need? THe dirt will be dropped off 75 yards from where the berm will be.

6. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

just a heads up make sure its not in anyone right away (town, county, utilities, etc)

another suggestion, i was on a job one time where they built a HUGE berm like 30' tall, they used "overs" as the bulk of it then added about a foot of topsoil, which was then seeded.. and by overs i mean the stuff that comes out of the other end of a screener when someones making/screening topsoil.. im sure whereever you get your topsoil from they would be happy to deliver it for free.....

7. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

If you are good w/ a bobcat and can get that many loads delivered in one day... it should only one day. I don't what it comes to in yards, but I would imagine 10-15 tandem loads. They have calculators for dirt/mulch on the internet and you can calculate how many yards you will need and find out how many yards you get in the tandem.

8. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

out of curiosity, what's going to keep the dirt in place when it starts raining buckets?

9. qcontrol23

Im not exactly sure...it should stay in place, right? What should i do to keep it in place? How should i bid the labor portion of this job?

10. JohnnyRoyale

I'd imagine you'd need approx 100 cu yds (5 triaxle loads). Your bobcat skills would be put to the test here. As for the erosion, you could have a blower truck spray the area with a seed/soil mix engineered for erosion control applications. What to charge? Probably would need a survey guy/labourer to make sure your on grade and within your layout and a bobcat with operator for the day. Total job would be worth whatever your rates would be, plus cost of seeding + markup, plus cost of soil (which should be free)-but homeowner does'nt have to know that. Good luck.