Bermuda and man-portable seeders

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by fijigreek, Apr 20, 2005.

1. fijigreek

fijigreek LawnSite Member

Hi. I live in Houston, Texas and have a partially shaded 1/2 acre backyard. Last fall I sowed/seeded kentucky31 and various fescue blends which did very well thru the winter. I expect some of the growth to die out with the coming of spring/summer and am investigating seeding with bermuda (which I broadcast seeded last spring and which did pretty well).

Any thoughs about a small seeder I can acquire in order to get the seeds thru the fescue and into the soil?

2. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Seed to soil contact is going to very important. I suggest scalping the fescue as close as you can to the ground. Rakeing the clippings and then broadcasting your Bermuda seed, any broadcast spreader will do. After the seed is broadcast you can then take a garden hose and spray nozzle and wash the seeds down thru the fescue down to the soil. Keep the fescue mowed short, less than 2 inches, to help the bermuda get established. I also suggest that you dont use fertilizer when you overseed. The fertilizer, along with watering to get the bermuda established will encourage fast growth in the alread established fescue. Once the bermuda has germinated and started growing you can then fertilize. Even then I would advoid to much nitrogen. In Houston, it will probably get hot and dry enough to kill (most but not all)the fescue out if you keep it mowed fairly short. I suggest that if you are wanting green durning the winter that you overseed with an annul rye grass instead of fescue. The annual rye will dieout in the summer and not comeback like the fescue will.

3. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I'd forget the bermuda,as you said you have partial shade.Bermuda does not like ANY shade.It'll be thin as can be,and you'll never get it to fill in properly.
    Look at centipede or St.Augustine(if you live in an area where winters aren't hard).Centipede is quite shade tolerant and can take a harder winter than St.Augustine.St.Augustine will have to be plugged at the least,as you can't purchase St.Augustine seed.Centipede,you can seed.