1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

bermuda application program

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lilmarvin4064, Dec 4, 2006.

1. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

I saw a thread on this earlier this year but I couldn't find it.

I need a good fertilizer/pre-emergent program for a very large area (5+ acres) covered in common bermuda. I'm on the edge of zone 7a / 7b (I think).

I'm more used to fescue, but here's what I'm thinking...

May - starter 18-24-12

June - 24-5-11 with 5% iron

July - 18-0-18

August - 18-0-18 ?

September - 5-10-31 ?

What would you use? and where would you incorporate the pre-emergents.
  2. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I used Barricade as a preemergent, but you can use Pendimethalin if you wish.

Feb/March - 0-0-7 with Barricade at 1.00 lb/AI per acre

You missed that one.

May - starter 18-24-12

Good choice, but be sure to apply at least 1 lb N/M.

June - 24-5-11 with 5% iron

July - 18-0-18

You need more N here, so you might go with something like 32-5-7. Too much K will burn in the Summer conditions.

August - 18-0-18 ?

Probably better to use 24-5-11 again with the Iron.

September - 5-10-31 ?

Good analysis, but you also need more Barricade with this app at 0.5 lbs AI/A

If you have the ability to spray, go back in November and do an app of Simazine. This will give you extra protection against Poa. This is not absolutely a must, but good if you can do it.
  3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Here's my .02 for what it's worth. I trust this is an already established area of common bermuda (my favorite turf).

The 18-24-12 in May. I rarely use a starter fertilizer unless I'm starting new turf. But it certainly won't hurt.

The application in August is pushing it. I'd recommend early August at least so there will be minimal nitrogen left if we get an early frost that year.

I like TurfUnlimited's pre-emergent choices as well.

And I'm also still an annual rye guy. Some dissuade it but not only does it look nice in the winter, broadleafs are far less compared to just dormant bermuda.
  4. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

From the past few years, I have found that Bermuda uses a significant amount of Phosphorous during the greenup process. Our soils to be deficient in this part of the state due to the way developments are built. I know it does not seem to make sense using a starter, but it is the easiest way to boost the P levels while providing the necessary N. Yes it does take the P a very long time to move through the soil profile, but lawns that did not get this product last year showed serious deficiencies during the early Summer. The hybrids will produce excessive seedheads when this is the case. A former superintendent offered the exact same opinion to me last week as well.

Now when talking about ryegrass, you are opening a whole new can of worms. Unless these are athletic fields, I would not even consider it. Ryegrass will add significant dollars to your budget due to the need for spraying Poa control prior to seeding, additional Winter fert, and a transition application to remove it in the Spring. Not to mention the process is stressful on the Bermuda.
  5. tsh1773

tsh1773 LawnSite Senior Member

Below is what I use and it's recommended by Lesco for this area.

FEB 0-0-7 Preemergent herbicide and fertilizer
    MAY 25-2-5 Preemergent herbicide and fertilizer
    JUNE 28-5-12 Fertilizer and Iron
    JULY 0-0-0 Iron Plus Application
    AUG 28-5-12 Fertilizer and Iron
    SEPT 5-10-20 Preemergent herbicide and fertilizer
    NOV 0-0-7 Preemergent herbicide and fertilizer
    DEC Lime