bermuda-b-gon?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Brianslawn, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

is there anything i can spray on a flower bed to kill bermuda grass only and nothing else?

someone mentioned to me ornamac (sp?)

2. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

im not licensed to spray but i do use a few things for control and touch ups here and there.........heres what i have used in situations like yours -------chemical called ornamec -this also kill other weeds and grasses but is safe for almost all shrubs..... and for twice the money fusalade II will kill bermuda and is safe to spray over shrubs I used to use fusalade II until this year i switched to ornamec due to cost and figured i would try something different. it is literally half the cost of the fusalade i get pretty much the same results.

3. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

4. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

While Ornamec is certainly cheaper, I'm not sure it provides added value for the lawn care proffesional. The a.i. is 1.7% compared to 24.5% for Fusilade II. Ok for a homeowner that only uses it a few times in a lifetime but...

5. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

i see your point in that which is true but think of this way spray one week while mowing, come back the next and its dead...... with either chemical.... sure one may work a day or two faster but im lookin at it on a weekly basis ya know...... same time frame same results less cost.... dead grass then gets pulled and area sprayed again...... but i do agree with you for faster results and maybe even longerr residual time fusalaide is better i was happier with it...... but i get the same end product in a weeks time either way.

6. Turfdoctor1

Turfdoctor1 LawnSite Senior Member

hey brian,

if you want my two cents, there is no such thing as "killing" bermuda grass. fusilade is your best shot, but, unfortunately, you are still going to have bermudagrass. most likely if you have living bermuda above the surface of the bed there is about 10 times that amount of living bermuda rhizomes under the ground. it's just tough to kill all those rhizomes, no matter what you use.

best of luck man,

josh