Bermuda brown spots

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by ericlemson, Jul 20, 2006.

1. ericlemson

ericlemson LawnSite Member

Im not sure if this is the right forum, but I live in the south and my bermude lawn has developed some brown spots. I will try and get a photo in here soon, but they look large spiderwebs all connected. I know we are in a drought, but I water for about 45 min. twice weekly at that spot. Any ideas. Ive seen it in a couple other Bermda lawns before.

Thanks

Eric

2. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Hi Eric,
    Sounds like Dollar Spot.It occurs on bermuda when the lawn stays wet for too long,there is high humidity, and there is a lack of nitrogen.Just fertilize your lawn,water in the mornings instead of evenings,and everything will be ok.

3. ericlemson

ericlemson LawnSite Member

I have a Tru Green type company (Greenleaf Lawncare) come out every month and a half to fertilize. As far as watering, I will try to do it in the mornings mostly.

One more question since you seem to know bermuda. I live in a new community with lawns that were sodded. Mine is about 3 years old now. When you look at my lawn, every so often, you will see a square of sod which is lighter and less dense then the rest of the lawn. Will these every grow to look similiar to the rest of the lawn or should I rent a sod cutter and replace with a new piece?

Thanks again
    Eric

4. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Most fert and squirt companies,such as yours,don't customize their apps for your lawn type.Bermuda requires 1lb of nitrogen per 1000sq ft,per month,during the growing season.In other words,they're not coming often enough and they're most likely not giving you 1lb per thousand.This,combined with the humidity and water can cause dollar spot.
    As far as your turf texture,it can be a number of things.From different bermuda types sent from the sod farm to inadequate nutrients in areas,or soil compaction in that area,or a tree root.Take some pics when you can.
    Another cause is that the sod in that square is higher than surrounding sod.So,when you cut the grass you could be cutting more off of that square.That will also cause thinning and a lighter green texture due to the new growth.Poor root structure could also cause it.It would be hard to determine online,but like I said,post some pics when you can.