bermuda burning??

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by inzane, Mar 27, 2013.

1. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

i haven't seen this done around here in a while, but i saw atleast 6 lawns in this one neighborhood yesterday that had been burned. whats the real benefit here?? is it just a lazy mans way to scalp a lawn?? it really isn't common around here. was suprised to see so many like this yesterday. I've never actually seen the process, has anybody ever done it? what type of equipment is involved?

I don't plan on doing this, just curious about it.. I've never done it, and my lawn has always looked just fine.

0326131334.jpg

2. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

It works surprisingly well, but no better than a good scalp and bag. I believe it is supposed to come back even thicker (than normal ways) since you are removing dead leaf mass on the grass and the sun is able to heat the ground up faster since it has less thatch and mass to go through. It also is said to get rid of any bugs or pests that you might have. Don't know about this though.

3. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Believe it's like scalping and dethatching at the same time. People use to do it all the time years ago.

I'm surprised it is allowed considering the risk of catching the house or woods on fire.

4. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I've seen it more this year than in the past few years for some reason.

5. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

I do not think it is legal in most municipalities. However, that is an alternative to a scalp and verticut. Go ahead and haul me away in handcuffs but I did that to a lawn that had been mowed for decades with a rotary. The amount of thatch and trash that would have come off that lawn could fill a roll off dumpster. That was only a 2,000 sq ft lawn. To minimize smoking, I torched it with a propane weed burner. Tons of dead sod webworms were amongst the ashes. Mowing the lawn at the correct height and keeping it growing at a consistent rate all season would help to minimize thatching. People can mow high and let the lawn go through drought. Then they have thatch to deal with.

6. wrager

wrager LawnSite Member
    from ATL