Bermuda came back

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by mhussey, Jul 21, 2006.

1. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, last fall I killed a big patch of Bermuda with round up and then tilled it up and reseeded, however, the Bermuda is back again. My question is this. Is there another grass type (cool season) that I could reseed with that the Bermuda will be less prone to take over once very hot weather gets here? It only seems to grow in one general area of my yard is the odd thing. However, it is on a slight slope, therefore, water doesn't hold well. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

That's a tough one there, Matt. Remember, bermuda is at home here, tall fescue is not. We all just try to make it that way.

A few things I'd do:
    1: Fertilize in February and late September. That will be starving the bermuda when it wants food and then when you give it, hopefully a frost will hit it when it's still active because of the fertilizer.
    2: Check with Lesco, JD Landscapes, etc. for products that will actually target the bermuda but not the fescue.
    3: Never, ever, ever mow the lawn shorter than 4".

Good Luck:)

3. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the advise. However, I do fertilize at those times. It's like that Bermuda no matter what just comes back and at a fast pace. I have heard of a herbicide that will control Bermuda in Fescue, but from what I heard on here it's best to just kill it and start over. Well I have done that so maybe I should and I hate to say it, but just go with all Bermuda. I love a nice striped lawn and having Bermuda eliminates this. Ole well my quest to contain Bermuda continues!!!!!

4. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

It takes repeated roundup applications to kill bermuda. At least 3.

5. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I deal with a lot of Bermuda here and it is one tough SOB to get rid of. Multiple round up applications as well as covering the area with some sort of tarp if the area is small enough. The combination of round up and lack of sunshine with the tarp covering it will get you started. Good Luck