Bermuda Control? Anbody know organic methods to control this beast?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Dean_W, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Dean_W

Dean_W LawnSite Member

Bermuda Control? Anbody know organic methods to control this beast? :)

2. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

fire lots and lots of fire,or try weeding with a tiller,shovels are organic if they have a wood handle.water, just build a dam around the yard and flood the thing for a week. I still like the fire...yeh fire is good!

3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Doesn't bermuda spread if you rototill it? Don't you just make a lot of little tiny bermuda's that will eventually TAKE OVER THE WORLD (I'm sorry I had a Kiril out of body experience) you know I'm kidding right?
    :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

What is the application, I mean in what context are you trying to get rid of bermuda grass. Is this a garden, fescue turf that is being infiltrated? We need more info

4. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Yup, Fire is organic.

5. Dean_W

Dean_W LawnSite Member

It's in a garden area and St. Augustine area. Fire, huh? As in torch?

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, yes yes, taking over your yard today, the WORLD tomorrow. :laugh:

Roto-tilling bermuda and its big brother crab grass is probably not a good idea unless your able to remove all water sources to allow the stolens (both bermuda & crab) and rhizomes (bermuda) time to desiccate (dry out). A combination of tilling and solarization would probably be the most effective non-chemical solution.

7. Dean_W

Dean_W LawnSite Member

Thanks you all for the advice. Yes, rototilling produced more stolons. I was thinking of solaraziation.

8. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

I use the Black rubber left over from pond installs. I should put a thermometer under there sometime and see how hot it really gets.

I think clear plastic works just as well, my neighbor left some plastic out one day to dry off, several hours later it had done its thing and wiped out all of the grass under it

9. treegal1

sorry forgot to say to kill it first, black plywood we use it to move the machines across lawns and to kill. it is not an over nite thing.or some scythe herbicide if it is a total loss.
    that brings up another thing, is the scythe better than the old favorite round up or have i been mis lead

10. treegal1

I still like the FIRE

11_27_4---Coal-Fire_web.jpg