bermuda creeping in on St. Augustine

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Wyboo, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Wyboo

Wyboo LawnSite Member

I have a customer who has St. Augustine grass. He is the only one. We are on the upper side of the range for the grass. Well he has bermuda grass starting to invade and i need a chemical to keep it back. Any suggestions?
  2. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

Atrazine. You'll find that's the AI in a lot weed and feed products for St. Augustine.
  3. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

atrazine doesnt kill or slow growth of bermuda in st aug grass.
    there really is no product for that purpose.
  4. pesticide

pesticide LawnSite Member

i dont know of any chemical control available for bermuda thats labeled for use in st augustine turf.
  5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Yo Guys

"Prograss" by Bayer is labeled to SUPPRESS Bermuda in St Augustine. It is very expensive and doesn't control the Bermuda. Only slows it down. From personal experience I feel the price is not worth the limited suppression it gives. It must be sprayed every 30 days with Atrazine which can not be applied that often both by label and the stress it causes St Augustine. From a cost stand point it is more economical to do a total kill and re-sod.
  6. DSTC

DSTC LawnSite Member

/agree with Ric

We have alot of that stuff around my area. Best bet is to pull it up, keep the SA mowed a little higher and just hope that the SA wins.

Or you could tell the customer that if he really hates the Bermuda with a passion, he can move to a new house and that will get rid of it :)