1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bermuda Fertilizer Schedule

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by TriageLawn, Jun 11, 2011.

1. TriageLawn

TriageLawn LawnSite Member

I have read so many post around the web about fertilizing schedules. Some say use high nitrogen fertilizer in June, while others say stay steady with a 15-15-15 fertilizer. What do you guys recommend? I am curious as to how some of you set up your schedules. Do you use a turf management company to handle the herbicides and pesticides or do you do it all. From January to December, how do you set up your maintenance schedules.
  2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

You will get a big variety of answers. I used to go by the Bermuda Bible recommendations. Since I can experiment on my own yard I have tried several different plans. I just put down triple 10 that I had mixed with a Lesco minor mix with 20%fe recommended by a fellow LCO. Of course I did a soil sample at the start of the season to make sure I wasnt too far off base. Even with little rain and limiting the N I am still cutting twice at 1" with solid green.I did a 2-4-D app back in April and only have the occasional sedge or clover to pull.:usflag:
  3. TuffWork

TuffWork LawnSite Senior Member

I use a high nitrogen in late march/early april to warm things up a bit so it will come out a little earlier. Then, in June I try use a lower nitrogen with a more rounded amount of other stuff like soluble potash, iron, etc. To keep it going strong. Then in late August/ early September I usually give it one more shot of the high nitrogen stuff so maybe it'll stay green a little longer through fall. There's no raw science in why I do it that way. It's just what works for me.

High N stuff = Entex MAX Green 22(17 ammonia, 5 urea)- 2-2-14-2

Lower N stuff = Entex Plus 12-6-6-10-.75 with added Zinc and Humates
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  4. wrager

wrager LawnSite Member
    from ATL