Bermuda Grass Doesnt look Healthy

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Marvelous Gardens, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Marvelous Gardens

Marvelous Gardens LawnSite Member

We have a lawn maintenance contract with an assisted living center that has Bermuda grass, we mow the property weekly per contract. This place has a sprinkler system in which they water every day at like 10 min per zone, we mow with our deck on the 3 1/2 setting, but we cannot get this grass to look green and healthy! We have had maybe 1/8" rain in the last two months, and he had another company fertilize before we got the contract. The grass just looks dead and brown with very minimal green. Can anyone help?

2. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

Water it 30 min. every other day.
    Aerate it.

Seriously, get a soil test done on it.

3. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Bermuda grass also should not be mowed with a rotary mower. I agree with the soil test. The usual fertilizer for bermuda is high N, high K and has micronutrients included. You should be applying up to 1 lb N per month of growing season in divided amounts.

4. Turfdoctor1

Turfdoctor1 LawnSite Senior Member

what?? not mow bermuda with a rotary?? ok, so that means that every homeowner with a bermuda lawn needs to go out and buy a reel mower? That's just not true.

True, hybrid Bermudas certainly perform better with reel mowing, but that is not realistic advice.

my advice. Quit watering so dang much. There is no reason at all for bermuda to receive water on a daily basis. It needs to be getting about an inch of total rain fall a week, irrigating 2-3 times per week. Even if it has been fertilized, the N is long gone by now. more fertilizer, less water.

5. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I would also say that your mowing height is not ideal for bermuda. About 80% of my accounts are bermuda and I mow at 2.5 inches, 3 max. I also second the soil test. You will be surprised what you find with a soil test. So I would say get a soil test, water deeper and fert according to your soil test. If you want help getting a soil test send me a private message or contact me thru my website and I would be happy to help you.

6. Marvelous Gardens

I figured if we mowed it any lower the problem would only get worse. On the same token I have read several articles that recommended 2.5" maybe I will try this I just hate the thought of it being too short and dead.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Don't change height now or it will damage the tips and you will have a bunch of areas that will stay brown for the remainder of the year. This bermuda is doing fine in our area at two watering a week. You just need more nitrogen put on it....get some Lesco 32 and it will green upl

8. Marvelous Gardens

Thank You for the fert info, I will seek a local dealer.

9. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Please disregard the N advise and take the soil test advise

Also contact the irrigation contractor and change the watering to deep and less often

Think long term and keep the business because you are doing the right thing...... long term

watering practices and what is going on in the soil will allow a long term customer

How much is N these days???? use a biological product to mine the nutrients that are already there

10. Marvelous Gardens