Bermuda Grass..Help....!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SouthernYankee, Nov 11, 2004.

1. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

I am not familar with Bermuda grass at all since where I am orginally from there is only Kentucky Bluegrass or a fescue mix (like lescos metro or park and field mix).

Can you not bag with Bermuda grasses?

what is the height you maintain with Bermuda?

any special info about this type of grass would be very helpful. thanks southernyankee

2. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

The bermuda lawns I do most of them I just mulch. However there are a few that I have to bag due to the customers preference. 2 to 2 1/2" is the recommended height for bermuda. It doesn't stripe real well. Just like any other grass if it is fertilized and watered properly it does well.

3. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

All of my props are bermuda and I bag nothing. I mow them all at 3 1/2" and side discharge.

4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

I maintain about 20 acres of fairway quality 419 bermuda.

First you need to know the variety. Although most are very similar, some have some quirks. if it was seeded it is common berm. if it was sodded it is probably 419 (tifway).

mowing:
    as low as you can get it. yes you can bag, but it is a waste. mulching is far better. to keep it looking prime mow it twice per week. (once a week at a minimum).

NO FERTILIZER now, just potash 0-0-60.

in the early spring before greenup scalp it. the brown blades will never regrow, they will only be a source of brown in your grass. bermuda regrows from the rizomes every year.

fertility:
    pH- 6-7.5
    use a high N fert. 28-5-10 etc.
    when it really gets growing is can pull 2 lbs N / 1000sq.ft per MONTH.
    we apply 100# of N/ acre every 6 weeks.

trimec, image, confront for broadleaf weeds
    msma, image, manage, basagran for sedges and grassy weeds

vantage will keep it out of beds