Bermuda Grass in Northeast

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Raff246, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Raff246

Raff246 LawnSite Member

Have Two Accounts with Bermuda Grass for turf. Was told Bermuda wouldn't grow this far north, Rhode Island, zone 6. Although with the weather the past several years its more like zone 7. The Bermuda Grass has since gone dormant but during this dry summer stayed active all season and looked good. Cut it at 2.5" during spring and 3" during summer, is this the right height. Not familar with this type of turf. Any special needs? Two dozen oak and equal number of maple on one of the properties. Shredded about 10 cubic yards of leaves into turf the other day, trucked away 4 loads.

2. HLC

HLC LawnSite Member

Wow, bermuda in Rhode Island!

Bermuda is probably the most common grass around here. It is very forgiving. Not much you can do to hurt it. If you do mess up and scalp or do something else to damage it, it will usually repair itself by the next cut or two. Most of my "nicer" looking bermuda lawns are cut at 2 3/4" during the summer and I usually drop down to 2 1/4" on my last cut so I would say your heights are good. I have some customers who don't really care about the look and just want it short so I cut those at 2 1/4" all year. I try to tell them that bumping it up another 1/2" makes a lot of difference in the look but they won't listen. I use Lesco's 24-5-11 slow release with iron and have great results.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Uncommon for there, but not entirely...cut it short...shorter than your normal lawns of fescue and bluegrass.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I hope the pay for overseeding. If not, for god's sake, make sure you always have the "jump" on weeds and other cool season grasses.

To me nothing looks worse than a dormant bemuda lawn with a patch of green here, a sprig of green there....

5. Raff246

Raff246 LawnSite Member

Never thought of that. Fescue has taken over in the dense shade of one of the properties. This property is a Veterinary Hospital (Closed). The Veterinarian is trying to sell the property over an acre of land, 20 car parking lot, buildings... so I doubt he wants that expense. His other properties equally as big he wants tall fescue planted (no irrigation) this coming spring. All the properties have been negelected for years. What a job. I'm solo, first year full time.

6. HLC

HLC LawnSite Member

Raff,
    I'm surprised that the bermuda grows well at all in RI but I can assure you that it will not grow where there is the least bit of shade. Even here in the south, where it thrives, it can't take the shade at all. I can even tell which side of a house faces north because the bermuda is its thinnest along the north face. Just throwing that out for ya in case your customer decides they want you to try to get "those bare patches under the trees to look like the rest"

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

ALWAYS remember, never assume what someone else is or isn't willing to spend! You never know until you discuss it with him!

I would approach him politely about it. Share ideas. If you present it without offending him, he may just be interested in paying you to spiff up the place since it's on the market.

You might be inclined to invest a little money in the appearance of your property if you were trying to sell your home.

8. Mowin4cash

Mowin4cash LawnSite Member