Bermuda Grass (not wanted)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pilotcoplawnboy, Jan 17, 2003.

1. pilotcoplawnboy

pilotcoplawnboy LawnSite Member

Question. I have a yard that I service and on both sides of the back yard there is bermuda grass visiting from the neighbors. What would you advise for me to do to keep it away. Should I just apply a heavy line of round-up along the edges or is there a better way? Thanks.

2. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

Bermudagrass spreads with rhizomes and stolons. Since rhizomes spread beneath the surface they are going to be hard to control short of blocking their progress with some physical barrier. Plus bermuda is an extremely hardy grass and most herbicides that will kill it will kill or damage other grasses. What type grass is the desirable turf?

3. bluemoon

bluemoon LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Try using Turflon Ester, about 20 bucks per bottle around here. It will suppress , short of fumigating you won't stop the growth under the soil line. I use this product alot and have similiar yards like you are describing. I spray 3 or 4 times during active bermuda growth about a 3 to 4 ft width along property line. I also use for spot spraying , it works well. I also encourage overseeding heavily each fall where bermuda is competing.
    Bermuda is persistent so good luck.
    Bluemoon

4. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

If it had to be done, I'd treat the neighboring perimeter with a growth regulator such as Primmo maxx as often as the label would allow. I would also treat any bermuda in the desired lawn with Fusilade II. It would add up expenses, but I'd only do it if the bermuda wasn't going to be tolerable.

5. ipm

ipm LawnSite Senior Member

Glyphosate is there is nothing on your side. Fusilade, Take away/fluazifop(sp?) if there is a fescue type grass on your side. It will take repeat apps..

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Good luck. Very hard to stop it.

I use a barrier with new beds.