Bermuda Grass, Overseeding

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by LouisianaZJ, Mar 12, 2004.

1. LouisianaZJ

LouisianaZJ LawnSite Member

specs: Bermuda Grass w/ irrigation
    Question: best way to overseed w/ bermuda

Details:
    I had some thin spots on my yard where the bermuda was not getting enough light (due to trees). I trimmed back all the trees before winter to get adequate light in those areas. A month ago I did an applicaton of a weed herbicide to get rid of a few pesky, spot weeds.
    The weeds are now dead, adequate sunlight in the yard, establised grass is healthy.
    I got a load of 6yrds of soil to filll in some low spots and put a light fresh layer of dirt over the entire yard.
    I heard I should wait till sept. sine the grass will not be able to develop big enough root systems for water in the summer heat. That's ok, cuase where I live usually, it rains 4 times a week in summer, and I have sprinkler system.
    Ok, I have a bag of bermuda seed and a spreader. What is the bast way to do this? I was thinking:
    1) spread dirt evenly, pretty thin
    2) apply seed w/ spreader
    3) work seed into soil with rake
    4) apply fertilizer (granular or liquid?)

How much/often should I water it?
    How long should I wait to cut it?

2. Josey Wales

Josey Wales LawnSite Member

Waiting until September to seed is a good plan for cool season grasses, not for bermuda.

Your bermuda is a warm season grass and will thrive in the heat so you need to seed it April through May. That way it will have time to root properly and become established this summer before winter.

3. LouisianaZJ

Thanks for the help man, I really appreciate it.

What about the cutting?

4. Josey Wales

Josey Wales LawnSite Member

The general rule is that when you cut, you don't want to remove more than 1/3 of the grass blade at any single cutting. So if you want to maintain bermuda at 1" for example, then you need to cut it when it reaches 1.5". Or for 2" you cut it at 3" etc...

The lower you cut it, the more often it will need to be mowed to adhere to the 1/3 rule.

Water it LIGHTLY daily for about 2 weeks to keep the upper soil moist for germination. Then water less frequently but longer and more deeply to promote deep root growth.

5. LouisianaZJ

I applied the seed and soil last week. I applied Scotts started fertilizer (granular) today. I guess we will see in about two weeks how well I did/or did not do :) hahaa