Bermuda Grass problem

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by gerald booth, Dec 10, 2005.

1. gerald booth

gerald booth LawnSite Member

I have a lawn that has about half bermuda grass that dies out every winter and is browned out. I was told to plant rye grass over it but I think it is too
    late for that. Does any one know if there is a product that I could apply other than the gallon of green latex paint i have in the shed, HA HA, to make
    my bermuda grass green for about 4 months till spring time arrives? I know I
    will have to totally reseed/or resod but I don't have the time or the money till late spring? Help!!!!!
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Yes you can go to Lesco and get a grass paint in gallon container. You can use a regular 3 gallon back pack sprayer to paint your yard. You start by bagging the grass then paint it on a warm sunny day. The paint will last a very long while and not harm the grass. We paint the places where the rye grass don't get a good stand in bermuda so it is all green. If there is no lesco go online for grass paint.
  3. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

The grass is not dead- it has just went dormant. It will green back up in the spring.
  4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Yep. What he said. In AZ everyone overseeds with rye if they want the color for winter. Bermuda is tough to kill in a warm climate. It should return when it warms up.
  5. John B Laidlaw

John B Laidlaw LawnSite Member

When I owned my landscape business in Sacramento, part of my service was to dethatch, aerate, top dress. and over seed with an annual rye. The window of opportunity was just after the leaf season, which was around this time esp. along the American River and Sacramento River. There are a lot of mixed lawns in the "Tree City" predominately Bermuda, Fescue, and cool weather grasses such as blue varieties.

Another problem with this area is that you reach the hundred degree mark usually around Memorial Day. So you over seed now, hope the winter rains provides quick germination, then get your preemergents down before Valentines Day! I always found it tough to do and I usually got about half the lawns done. I just rotated every year to make sure my customers recieved the benefit of green lawns in the foggy winter! As an aside, the poa annua was really bad at this time of the year also!

I could go on but if you look up some courses at Sacramento City College, you will find a wealth of information there.
  6. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

You can still seed ryegrass at this time. The ryegrass will germinate very quickly if watered properly, usually within a week. It should be seeded at 8 to 10 pounds per thousand square feet.

Downside is that you will need to mow it frequently once established. Annual ryegrass is cheap and isn't as attractive as Perennial ryegrass, but it transitions out much faster. The choice is yours which to use.

Your Bermuda will come out of dormancy and begin growing rapidly once soil temperatures reach 65 degrees or so. By mowing very often, you will encourage the ryegrass to die out as the Bermuda kicks in. There will be a period of uglyness so to speak during the transition time.

You can always purchase Lesco Green which is a turf paint. Upside there is no maintenance needed and your dormant Bermuda will hold the paint until it starts growing in the Spring. You might spend $100 on paint if you have a small to medium sized lawn. Just be careful on the borders because that will look very messy if it hits concrete.