Bermuda Grass Problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ken50, Mar 27, 2004.

1. ken50

ken50 LawnSite Member
    from tx

I have a brother that lives in San Antonio, and has bought a home with bermuda grass in the yard. He says he has a problem with the grass always appearing brown, and that the majority of the houses in the area having the same type grass, and the same problem. I know this isn't much to go on, but does anyone have an idea as to what may be causing this?

Thanks in advance.
  2. hartlawnmain

hartlawnmain LawnSite Member

Bermuca's a warm season grass and probably won't green up for another couple of weeks.
  3. ken50

ken50 LawnSite Member
    from tx

He has had this problem though even last year during the entire year, right on through the summer....any ideas?
  4. bill--bls

bill--bls LawnSite Member

We use hybred Bermuda lawn out here and you have to fertilize it with a high nitrogen fertilizer--20-5-10-- is what we use. Hope this helps
  5. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

He is mowing too high and not often enough
  6. BW4486

BW4486 LawnSite Member

it could be mole crickets????
  7. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

He's probably just not mowing often enough. Bermuda has a tendancy to look brown if to much is cut off at one time.
  8. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Being somewhat familiar with soil structure in Texas, and being even more familiar with the poor construction techinques-
    I'd say your problem is associated with a decent turf attempting to be grown on insufficient soil.
    I'll bet you your brother lives in a tract home subdivision?
    Telll your brother to aerate his lawn in three directions following a good soaking rain (or soak the yard with the irrigation system), then topdress with dillo dirt or similar material.
  9. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

It just might be a new variety...
  10. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

this is a joke question, right?