Bermuda Grass Question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GreenNation, Sep 9, 2007.

1. GreenNation

GreenNation LawnSite Member

I have a lawn that is all 100% Fescue, and is solid other than a small infestation of Bermuda creeping in from an adjoining lawn. What is the best way to prevent the Bermuda from spreading into the Fescue Lawn. Is their a product available to control the Bermuda while not disturbing the Fescue?
    Thanks for any advice!

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Might ought to look at how to get rid of the other grass......bermuda wins usually unless you plant a big tree and get it shaded.

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I have not had good results. I used a mixture of Acclaim and trichlopyr--the best mixture I could find. Slightly injured the Bermuda. I gave up after 6 applications.

4. JoeinJasper

JoeinJasper LawnSite Member

Fusilade II is labeled for bermuda suppression in fescue.

5. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

I have lost the battle twice!!!!! I sprayed RoundUp 3 times the last episode to kill the Bermuda. Now the stuff has came back with a vengeance. I don't have irrigation, and this drought has turned my Fescue into dormancy, the Bermuda is standing strong.....

I am thinking about just having Bermuda instead...

6. heybruck34

heybruck34 LawnSite Senior Member

Nothing you can do. I had the same problem in the corner of my lot from my 2 neighbor's Bermuda creeping in. Now I just spray a Roundup "No Man's Land" deadzone right down the property line. Looks like crap but my Fescue is doing fine and Bermuda free.

Fescue WILL NOT choke out Bermuda and Fusilade hurts the fescue to much to use repetitively.

7. GreenNation

GreenNation LawnSite Member

This sounds like a no-win deal, but thanks for all of the reply's. We will keep giving this one some more thought.

8. tsh1773

tsh1773 LawnSite Senior Member

Try Turflon Ester or Ornamec. They both work with multiple applications.

9. Slyder777

Slyder777 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

With bermuda, we generally have to use obstruction vs chemical control. Maybe put some sort of short fence in with a weed barrier in the ground about four inches. Or run a curb in between the lawns that goes down a ways. You can keep the bermuda from growing over the top with a weed eater and the weed barrier will keep the rhysomes from invading.

Sorry, probably not what your looking for, but bermuda is tough the sun. Good luck.

Shawn

10. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Fusilad II and Ornamec mixture. Although I don't think Fusilad is labeled for residential, but if it is on your own lawn, try it, it does work.