bermuda growing back

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AielLandscaping, Apr 20, 2002.

1. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i have a customer who wants to keep her yard picture perfect and one section of her yard was largely infested with bermuda and nutsedge. I sprayed the whole section and after it died i mowed as close as i could get then rototilled and raked, rototilled and raked, rototilled and raked until there was no debris left. i seeded with perennial rye and bluegrass (scotts brand) and covered the seed with starter fertilizer and humus... (i've done this plenty of times before and have had fantastic results) the lawn is well irrigated and drains well too... we had some cooler tempatures then i had thought we'd see at this time of year and the seeds didn't germinate as fast as i'd liked... however they have started germinating and have grown to about 1" right now... however the nutsedge and the bermuda are growing back fast! what can be done to remedy this?

2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Did you not apply any pre-emergents?

3. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

Well you can't put pre-m down because of the grass seed, but nutsage infestation is a sign of overwatering. Round-up the bermuda is going to be your best chance of getting rid of it.

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Manage (by Monasato) will kill nutsedge. And I believe Fusalate 2 will kill Bermuda grass.

5. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

fusilade 2 and manage mixed together will kill actively growing bermuda and nutgrass and if mixed properly and at normal temperatures (65-88) should be fairly selective in fescue/bluegrass or zoysia. some or all other grasses could be damaged if rates or temp recommendations are not followed to the letter. dave g

6. KirbysLawn

IS Fusilade labeled for residentual use in your state?

Sorry, I missed the part about seed, I thought the seed has grown and the bermuda was starting. Sounds like round-up on the bermuda this fall, heavy overseeding and early pre-m next spring.

7. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Fusilade II will knock that bermuda right out.

8. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

ok i'm going to hit it with fusilade 2 but should i wait until the seed has grown and been mowed a couple of times or should i just hit it now before the bermuda get out of hand?

9. KirbysLawn

I'll ask again....is Fusilade II labeled for home lawns in your state?

10. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member