BERMUDA - How much seed per acre?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by user123, Dec 24, 2006.

1. user123

user123 LawnSite Member

Quick question, how much seed should I plan on getting for seeding one acre of land with Bermuda? I have approx 1/2 acre front yard and 1/2 acre backyard.

Was planning on possibly Pennington-77 Bermuda or another higher quality for entire yard, unless cost prohibitive. Backyard will be mostly family BBQs and kids playing Nerf football, not really visible from "curb appeal" factor for the backyard per se.

Comments, recommendations, all appreciated!

2. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I have not experienced good results with bermuda seed. If I were you, I'd try sprigging or sodding. 419 bermuda would also be a good choice for your needs.
  3. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Bermuda is fairly easy to seed.Just don't plant it too deep.If you wet the area,spread your seed,and roll into the soil,that is plenty.Keep the area moist until the seed sprouts.
    The soil needs to be warm.The warmer the better,but you can start at about 65 degree soil temp.
    6lbs per 1000 sq feet will cover nicely.At 44,000 sq ft per acre,your looking at 264 lbs for the acre.
  4. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

If I were you I would just sod your lawn. It would be a lot less headaches and a lot cheaper in the long run.

I tried this summer and the seed sprouted pretty well. The only problem is it sprouts in patches. So the area with no grass became weed infested becasue I was unable to use any Pre-M. So I had to hand pick the weeds out of the lawn. Once I got all of the weed out I had to put down sand in the bare spots, and that was a lot of sand and a lot more $$. The sand barrier starts to break down well before the rhizones and stolons fill in the patches.

Put it this way, at least once a month for 3 months I had to fill in patches with sand. Good thing I told the client what to expect and gave them their options (sod or seed) and they never once complained about the bill that they got each month. The entire .25 acre still is not full but we are going to seed it again this coming summer and that should fill it in pretty good.

This is just my experience with seeding bermuda. Hope you have better results if you decide to seed your lawn.
  5. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

I tried out some cheap "Common Bermuda" in the far end of my back yard at my home where my dogs dig a lot.I got it from Home Depot. I think it was called Sahara or Mirage or something like that. I just threw it around the bare spots doing minimal prep.I think it was around $20 for a 5 to 7 lb bag. It worked okay the first year. At the end of the 2nd summer, it looked good and by the 3rd summer it spread considerably and looked "sodded" with basically little effort.However, I was very casual about spreading it around my back lot and did not spend a lot of time with it. If I had I spent more time on it,the area would have looked better sooner . But,it still looks good considering the little effort. If you just want to get something on the ground that will spread go for it. It may be worth it to at least go with a hybrid coated hulled seed rather than the unhulled seed.

You may want to consider sodding the front yard for appearances sake and seeding the back yard to save money. Be warned that Common Bermuda may/will spread in to your hybrid Bermuda, so think of that before hand as well.You will have weed competition when you start from seed so you will have to stay on it. Either way it all comes out in the wash..... You can save some money on the front end if you are not particular about how it will immediately look and with effort you can nurture it in to looking good or spend the money and sod it and be done with it !