1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bermuda in Emerald Green Zoysia

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by dave k, Jul 25, 2008.

1. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the best way of ridding Zoysia of Bermuda, I used Fusilade II but it really doesn't work very well, I used .75 oz. per gallon with 1/2 oz. surfactant per gallon, is this to weak for spot spraying? Any help is appreciated.
    I have also decide to bite the bullet this year and started killing it off with Round up but it seems like the roots just aren't being killed off since it starts to pop up again on the outside of the kill off, I hate it!
  2. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

I have had fairly good results from Ornemec in controlling the Bermuda outbreaks in my Zoysia. Follow label instructions and you will see the same. Don't expect immediate results though. Although it was only a few days before I noticed the change in the bermuda it was after a few mowings that I really saw positive results. Big decrease in the growth after 1rst mow and no growth after the second a week later.
  3. dave k

Thanks, does it kill it or just surpress it? I want it DEAD!
  4. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

If you want bermuda dead, then the label rate of Ornamec + 1 quart of Turflon Ester is what you want. Notice I did not say how much per gallon. When treating for bermuda, assume it is all over, even if you do not see it.
  5. spitwad

spitwad LawnSite Member

dave k, did you ever try this? I have a beautiful emerald zoysia lawn that is getting a bermuda infestation that I am having a very hard time controlling. I also have an asian jasmin flowerbed that could benefit from this.

I am leery about using chemicals on my zoysia because the last time I used Image to control crab grass, I killed my emerald zoysia too. Not good!
  6. cpa4t9r

cpa4t9r LawnSite Member

I don't have it handy, but I've read at least one study (very detailed) that showed that adding the Turflon as a tankmix partner improves Zoysia's tolerance either Fusillade or Acclaim Extra. Plus, Turflon has activity on bermuda. You may want to tracking that down to allay any concerns.
  7. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

That is completely true. I have screwed up many zoysia lawns by spraying straight Fusilade or Ornamec. In many cases it appeared that the zoysia was as badly affected as the bermuda and crabgrass. Acclaim is the same on zoysia as well. Once I started applying Turflon ester with Fusilade, no more zoysia injury and improved control of bermuda. It is a case of 2+2=5.
  8. dave k

I would ask Greendoctor, he's the expert
  9. dave k

Check your PM's, I've been trying to get hold of you regarding the Fusilade II
    I have the tank and boom from Roy, just need your expertise with the dosage!
    PM me....
  10. dave k

Can you send me the study?
    or a link to it, Thanks