bermuda in fescue lawn

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RYNK, Oct 29, 2001.

1. RYNK

RYNK LawnSite Member

Anybody have any suggestions on how to get rid of bermada in a fescue lawn? I have about a 50-50 mix in a 12,000sqft lawn. I know one option is to start over but, our city is on manditory water restrictions and no watering is allowed. I have aerated and reseeded at 5lbs/k with fescue and I try to water a couple days a week - risking a fine if i get caught. I have heard of fusilade but I don't know much about it. Is it effective to get rid of bermuda? Any other options? Thanks, Mike

2. HOWARD JONES

HOWARD JONES LawnSite Member

With no watering allowed, I think you're in trouble. My search on Fusilade indicated it will probably kill any kind of grass - it is normally used on broadleaf field crops to kill grasses. Do a net search "Controlling Bermuda Grass by Donald Burger..." it tells about Ornamec, which will kill only Bermuda (and other fine-bladed grasses). It has been used for exactly what you want. If you get stuck in a no-water mode forever, you may have to settle for Bermuda. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but using any product to kill selectively or even to start over is more effective if applied during the growing season, which is already too late for Bermuda. Also, even selective killers can harm new grass. If you get much results from the overseeding, maybe you should wait until late next spring to use something like Ornamec.

3. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

Talk to the guys at Lesco. I have used Fusilade II with good results. The water restrictions are going to be a real issue. Are they going to ease up on you guys in the near future? Might be easier for you to establish a predominately bermuda lawn if watering the fescue is out of the question. Are you a member of CGMA? E-mail me and I'll tell you all about it. Better yet, e-mail Kirby, he's on the board.
    Good luck, Bill Craig!

4. RYNK

RYNK LawnSite Member

Hey thanks for the info. There is no sign of easing up on the water restrictions any time soon. I did a search on CGMA and foung their website. I'm interested in it but they didn't mention anything about joining, so I guess i'll give them a call.
    Thanks, Mike

5. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

RYNK,

Fusilade is a good product but the lable states "suppression only." Due to the agressive nature of Bermuda it is very difficult to get rid of.

In Kansas we have a joke..How do you get rid of Bermuda?

Answer..Move

Good luck

6. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

RYNK,
    CGMA meets the second tuesday of each month.
    Next meeting is tuesday 13 November 2001 at the Mecklenburg County Extension Office located at 700 N. Tryon Street (uptown). Meeting time is 7:30pm. Just walk in and follow the signs or ask anyone which room we're meeting in. Nobody has been bitten yet, so don't hesitate to come in. Usually a pretty good speaker, door prizes, and an incredible opportunity to do some first class networking. Hope to see you there. Bill!

7. mark2

mark2 LawnSite Member

Check out Acclaim. I think you need to start after bermuda has greened up in the spring then hit it with repeat apps. I sprayed over bermuda in a fescue lawn the first of Sept. and the bermuda did not grow anymore this season

8. went to a seminair last winter and that question was asked to a univerisity of kentucky hortcultoralst (however you spell it) this guys the top around in his field, he said MOVE to another home, we did a lawn last summerlooks great now , but with past experience i have doubts.