1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bermuda in St. Augustine

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfman33, Mar 14, 2003.

1. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

Does anybody know of any way to get rid of Bermuda Grass in St. Augustine without killing back the St. Augustine.?

2. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've tried just about everything. The best solution I could come up with is to actually dig it up with a sod cutter and remove it that way. Then lay new St Augustine sod. I've done this and STILL had the Bermuda return. Don't waste your time with roundup, you've got to get all the seed up.
  3. Gardens & Grounds

Gardens & Grounds LawnSite Member

I have a yard with this same problem and info. on this is far and few between. One of the profs. in the Hort. Dept. @ LSU said Prograss and Atrizine after spring green up. I searched long and hard on the net and only found one site to cooberate this. Wish I could post the link but can't find the dog gone thing in my favorites folder.
  4. Swampbeast

Swampbeast LawnSite Senior Member

I have sorta a similar problem, what about Rye Grass in St. Augustine? How do you get rid of that? Dig it up?

5. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

Rye is a cool season grass...it will burn up as the temp goes up...just give it a little time.
  6. intiMOWdator

intiMOWdator LawnSite Member

I used to kid with my customers if you want to get rid of Bermuda in St. Augustine~Move. Kidding aside, it's difficult to do but can and has been done, Atrazine used as a spot treatment has been effective with multiple applications weeks apart with little rain fall. Once Bermuda begins to wither weed wack as close to ground and resod several weeks after last treatment of atrazine in area. Most of the time I have had good results but not every time.