Bermuda Lawn...What should I focus on first?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by btwint, May 25, 2013.

1. btwint

btwint LawnSite Member

So I have a few issues. I have thin grass, weeds and uneven spot everwhere. I just dont know where to start. Should I start with one before the other? I have read a lot about scalping and then leveling with sand, should I do that? I know people say bermuda is strong but I feel if I scalp my lawn I dont have enough for it to grow back. I did not apply any pre-m for weeds so I am behind already and I havent put down any fert. I do have irrigation in the front. Any advice will be great!

Not to mention my neighbor is on top of things and uses a reel mower. I gotta step my game up!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tdr6874

tdr6874 LawnSite Member

it is strong...scalp level fertilize...cut it short as often as possible

3. Id have the weeds treated first, scalp, fertilize, then topdress and start cutting with a REEL.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. btwint

btwint LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device

So what should I use to treat the weeds? Also I see you say fertilize before topdress. What fertilizer should I use and how much sand do I use to make sure I do not choke out the grass.

Last question. Is a non motorized REEL mower any good or are they junk?

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  5. The weeds are not my ballpark...hopefully Greendoc chimes in. Bermuda is a heavy N feeder...i would say between. 25-.5 inches but i would start on the lower end of that you can keep topdress as you go...if lawn is thatchy which im assuming it is by looking at it i would verticut as well.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Yes, get a gas powered reel you can find them used for great prices...if you are serious about your lawn, then invest in the right stuff. Keeping a picture perfect lawn and landscape is not cheap.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. tdr6874

tdr6874 LawnSite Member

i would work on level first and foremost....it takes the most time and many weeds such as clover and poa will die with heat...i would much rather have a flat level lawn with a few weeds than lumpy lawn thats weed free...taking care of weeds is easy...if its nutsedge sedgehammer is great, for all others msma is great but being fazed out/banned get it quick before it dries up...the stuff is a must for bermuda and only takes a few days to kill darn near everything...i would aerate too if time and money allows prior to leveling with sand or top dressing mix...get a reel and mow as often as possible...i am cutting 4-5 times per week at .5 inches with a 30 inch locke, and we just hit the 90's now and will be there for the next 5 months...cut the lower the better...its a commitment and for where i live bermuda on a home lawn is rare and a reel mower is even more so...my neighbors just shake their heads...water 11 zones 2 times per week fertilize every 3 weeks milgrante iron in addition to fertilizer every other fertilzing

8. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

For the umpteenth time. Weeds in bermuda are a symptom of not cutting low enough with the correct mower, wrong kind/not enough fertilizer and incorrect watering. As for spraying weeds in bermuda, I like to use the selective materials as a broadcast spray. If I am stuck spot spraying, that will be with RoundUp at a rate guaranteed to do the job.

9. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

That is almost the correct order of doing things. Scalping and sanding when the weeds are not under control is a recipe for disaster. Scalping when the lawn is not adequately fertilized is even worse. Applying weed controls to a starved lawn is playing with fire. How I get it done is to fertilize first. Control weeds. Scalp. Sand level. Then keep it that way by mowing with a reel. What you see in the pictures is what happens when bermuda is not fed enough and mowed with a rotary.

10. antv20

antv20 LawnSite Member

I know this was asked but are manual reel mowers any good?