Bermuda maintenance

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Earth Works, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Earth Works

Earth Works LawnSite Member

What kind of fertilizer and weed prevention (such as post/pre-emergents) would
    be suggested for using on bermudagrass? Based on your personal and professional experience. I am in San Antonio, Texas and we have been graced with lots of rain this year! :cool2:

2. DSTC

DSTC LawnSite Member

In the cooler weather in GA, I use Atrizine(pre-em and can ONLY be used in dormancy!!!!!!) and Southern Trimec(post-em under 85 degree air temp) from Oct. to April.

During the hot summer months, we use Manor(metsulfuron) for Broadleaf and MSMA for Grass control. A crabgrass pre-m like Barricade is also a good idea in spring, although that one is pretty expensive.

We fertilize once in spring and once in summer. 1lb per 1000 in the spring of a 15% urea blend (15-4-8 I think) and 1lbs per 1000 in the summer of slow release urea (42-0-0) for a total of 2 lbs per 1000 of urea based nitrogen per year. Most extension services recommend more (3-6 lbs per year) but we have great results with 2lbs per year.

I'm sure others have other methods, but this is what we do :)