Bermuda maintenance

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by inline lawn care, Sep 4, 2007.

1. inline lawn care

inline lawn care LawnSite Member

I want to aerate, reseed and prepare my lawn for the winter months and not have a weed problem for next spring. In what order and at what month should i do this? Is there anything i should do before then? thanks
  2. JoeinJasper

JoeinJasper LawnSite Member

You should not need to reseed bermuda, in fact if you have hybrid sod, the seed is a lower grade and should not be mixed in with sod. You should aerate during the active growing season. You should fertilize and pre-m mid Sept to mid Oct. Use 0-0-8 with Pre-m to prevent winter weeds such as po anna. Reapply the fert and pre-m in mid Feb. Wait until the grass is 50% green then fertilize with a high nitrogen slow release fert. Where are you located? There probably is a Lesco (John Deere)near you. They can set you up with the right products and program. Joe
  3. inline lawn care

I'm in snellville. I believe there is and homedepot on scenic hwy that is a landscape supply store. Do they offer discounts to small business owners? Also, i heard that mid sept is a good time to aerate. Is is ok to aerate twice a year? Once at the beginning of the lawn season and once at the end? I'm a newbee. Thanks for your answers.
  4. JoeinJasper

JoeinJasper LawnSite Member

Look for a Home Depot Landscape Supply ( I believe there is one in Lawerenceville), they sell Lesco products and they should have a sales person to help you out. They do offer discounts to the pro. Stay out of the big orange box they rarely have help and don't offer discounts. Joe
  5. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, the Home Depot Supply Store is at the corner of Boggs Rd. and Scenic Hwy. there are also numerous Pike Nurseries located in the far as John Deere dealer...there is one of those in Athens, GA. and Dacula...though I have never seen the one in Dacula. Our local Home Depot carries Lesco products so just buying consumer is an option also.
  6. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

You don't want to aerate in mid Sept.
    You may be getting information on a different type of grass. Fescue should be aerated and over seeded in mid Sept and some LCO do it in the spring also. This rule doesn't apply for Bermuda. Aerate once in May or June and you should be fine.
  7. inline lawn care

Thanks for the tip. I was told by a company that I should aerate bermuda in mid to late Sept. Otis
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Time is short for planting bermuda.....need a couple weeks of 90F and a lot of water.
  9. eddings

eddings LawnSite Member

I would assume that since bermuda is almost impossible to kill that you could aerate any time you please. It isn't going to hurt the grass. If it is good for the soil then why not do it.

It is however, a little late to be planting bermuda. It needs lots of sun, hot temps, and plenty of water.
  10. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

may or early june for aerating bermuda, just called and asked my favorite lawn expert last night and this is what he told me. I would believe anything he tells me so....