Bermuda overseeding question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bbroussard, Mar 2, 2003.

1. bbroussard

bbroussard LawnSite Member

I have a client that has a St. Augustine yard and wants to go with a bermuda grass. It is not that big of a yard. I was wondering what is the best way to go about doing this. Would broadcasting on top the St. Aug work or should i remove all the sod and then put the seed down

2. NC Big Daddy

NC Big Daddy LawnSite Senior Member

You should know you don't seed Bermuda........Sod it.........I know you can buy Bermuda seed but you wont get the results you or your customers want.

3. ipm

ipm LawnSite Senior Member

If it is a small as you say, I would use a sod cutter to remove the S.A. and re-sod bermuda. This will give you a clean job.

Overseeding will not work!

4. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Can you please explain why the desired results cannot be accomplished with Bermuda seed?

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto

6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Double ditto.:confused:

Kill the St Aug, scalp it and slit seed it with Bermuda. Here is an example of a lawn I seeded with Bermuda, worked good for me.

[​IMG]

7. That was a old industry standard of just sodding bermuda.There was 67 different types of bermuda seed produce this year. Plus it wont be that far off in the future where bermuda will also be grown up farther north with more research everything is possible

8. ipm

ipm LawnSite Senior Member

Very impressive. How long did it take to mature?? I have seeded before and did not get very good results. I guess I am just accustomed to throwing down pallets of grass. People where I am from like instant gratification.

9. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I would kill off the St. Aug with round-up before manually removing it.
    Get a good soil test, specify on the test what you are going to do with the site, then follow the recommendations.
    I have had both good luck and bad luck with seed and sod.
    If the homeowner is looking for instant gratification, put in the sod.
    As far as germination on Bermudagrass seed, I have found after seeding over fifty acres in different conditions (athletic fields, yards, roadsides - etc) that susstained soil temps above 90*F and soil pH to be the most important. It comes down to timing and site prep. And wether or not coated vs uncoated seed is used. I only use uncoated seed after trying both types.

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

If the St Aug is in bad condition you can over seed it with Bermuda and use MSMA to kill off the ST Augustine after the Bermuda has gotten a good start. It is easy to take St Augustine out of Bermuda Too Bad it is impossible to take Bermuda out of St Augustine:cry: