bermuda plugging experiment

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by grassmasterswilson, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I would say you "could" try the primo in a month if the grass has fairly well spread and filled in. Main thing is the water, mowing and light fertilizer right now.

Primo can actually slow down the fill in process.

2. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

So its been just over 7 weeks since the plugging. Many areas are doing really well. I've got some areas that just aren't spreading very good. The sod squares are green but and i'm cutting top growth off, they just don't send out runners. Everything is getting pretty good water or at least enough so it isn't getting stressed. I'm also keeping it fertilized and mowing twice a week.

The following pics were taken this morning 7/30/12. Its a little foggy out, and I thought it might be a better pic than in the full sun.

Our growing season should last at least til the end of August and maybe into mid September. Any recommendations or tips that might encourage spreading in the thin spots? I'm tempted to spray primo about mid August in hopes of thickening up the runners, but am still researching. I may need to overseed with rye to help hold the soil, but would spray it out in spring(i'm not a fan of rye but don't want a dirt lawn for leaves!)

backleft7.30.12.jpg

backright7.30.12.jpg

backwalk7.30.12.JPG

frontmiddle7.30.12.jpg

garage7.30.12.jpg

inlaw7.30.12.jpg

3. Duekster

from DFW, TX

I think I see moss in some locations. Others I think are not growing in because of sun or less sun.

4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

The shorter you mow the better it spreads...
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

I took a chance and sprayed an application of primo in hopes of giving the lawn a more covered look before going dormant. I sprayed it at 25 oz per acre on 8/5/12. Here are a few pics I took on 8/17/12. You can clearly see that the runners are starting to thicken and produce more leaves.

primo1.JPG

primo2.JPG

6. cgaengineer

That's pretty impressive!
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Duekster

from DFW, TX

Now is the time to start counting backwards from the first frost. You want your last app of N to be about 6 weeks prior to the last frost. I would make that a full app too. Then look at how many apps you can squeeze inbetween now and then.

I love me some Primo. It does have an impressive result to the knowing eye.

8. overtona

overtona LawnSite Member

Ok I'm a newbie here. What the heck is primo? Also grass master what level fertilizer are you using.

9. cgaengineer

Primo is a growth regulator...minimizes vertical growth while promoting lateral growth.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. cmvanham

cmvanham LawnSite Member

Just curious, why did you choose plugs over sprigging?