Bermuda question

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by New2TheGreenIndustry, Feb 28, 2008.

1. New2TheGreenIndustry

New2TheGreenIndustry LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

I have a customer who wants the Borders of his Bermuda yard to expand from 2-24 inches in some spots. Anyone have suggestions?

2. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

Lay down some bermuda sod and cut it to the shape that he wants. The bermuda that he has will eventually creep out that far but it will take it some time to make it 24".

3. New2TheGreenIndustry

New2TheGreenIndustry LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

You bring up a good point. I will mention this, but if he does not want to spend the money on sod could nitrogen be the answer? How long will it take to spread 6-8 inches on average? In the conversation he said when they installed the pool the grass was torn up and they spread sand. Was this to level it out, or does it help Bermuda recover?

4. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

The bermuda will grow through the sand a lot faster than it will in our clay soil. You could till in some good soil amendments (such as sand) and hit it very heavy with several apps of nitrogen and plenty of water and it will grow maybe a foot or more by the end of summer.

5. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

Why don't you just seed this area? In your area, you need to seed in May for Bermuda. It's either this or once it starts to grow, hit it with some heavy urea and watch it grow!

6. JoeinJasper

JoeinJasper LawnSite Member

Don't seed. Bermuda seed is not the same as bermuda sod. The closest quality seed is 'Princess', and even this one does not match bermuda 419 sod. Joe

7. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Water and fert and you'll almost be able to see it growing.

8. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

Joe has a point when it comes to matching your existing variety of bermuda. However, there are so many varieties now. You could go to the trouble of determining your variety and then matching seed or sod, but I still think just mowing short and heavy fert will get it to cover 2 feet.