Bermuda question!!!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by venecular, Jul 28, 2004.

1. venecular

venecular LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

I have a Bermuda sodded yard and it turns brown in a few places as soon as the air gets a little dry. Other areas stay green and do not have this problem. I'm thinking who ever laid the sod did not prep the dirt very well (red clay). I was thinking of spreading some sand on the lawn but wanted to see what you guys recommend.

2. Keith Howells

Keith Howells LawnSite Member

When was the yard sodded? It makes a difference as far as what you would do to fix the problem. Sand could be a poor decision if the lawn is new.

Your supposition is probably correct if the builder put in the yard. Most I've seen rough grade, maybe run a Harley rake over the surface, then sod. We do the above, but then we amend the soil, add fertilizer, roll, spray with water, lay the sod while the ground is moist and roll again. Then we water the heck out of it. We also never let sod sit overnight. We lay everything that's delivered the same day.

3. venecular

from Atlanta

The sod is roughly 2.5 years old. I keep it fertlized regularly. I have never done a soil test.

4. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Bermuda will brown without water.Especially turf type bermuda,as opposed to "common" bermuda.
    Unlike fescue,which thins out,but stays green without water,bermuda will rebound when moisture returns.Alot of lawns in my area are going through this as we went two weeks without rain.
    It's just the bermuda protecting itself and going dormant.
    Also,the soil where your brown spots are emerging may contain more rock,which doesn't retain moisture.Sand will not help in this case,as sand will hold moisture for a shorter period than clay or loam.Sand only helps in areas you need to fill in as the bermuda will grow into the sand.
    When moisture levels are low,as in no rain for a week,just water the areas you're having trouble with and they will remain green.

5. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep. Bermuda has to have LOTS of water. Is your yard irrigated? How big are the brown spots? Also remember Bermuda is a heavy feeder. Requires 1 lb of nitrogen per 1000 sq/ft once a month in the growing season.

6. venecular

from Atlanta

the spots are in some areas 10 x 10 and some are smaller... I noticed that these spots are in the same area as last year. It just looks like a soil problems.

7. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Try aerating the area,adding fertilizer as Avery mentioned,and water.You mentioned a clay soil and I bet it's very compact,as clay just naturally is as opposed to loam or sandy soil.Might want to add some gypsum later also,to help break up the clay in those areas.

8. venecular

from Atlanta

thanks for the info