1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

bermuda seed HELP

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fastcat, Jun 25, 2008.

1. fastcat

fastcat LawnSite Senior Member

i posted this in the renovation thread and it is just to dead. admin please dont move. i need to put this seed down tomorrow and i want to do it right.

allright i bought the seed today and i am wondering what the best way to put it out is. i got the sun star at lesco.

my options are to put it in my broadcast spreader and put it on a low setting so that the seed doesnt come pouring out really fast or mix it with sand and use the broadcast spreader. if i mix it with sand what is the best way to go about it so that i get even seed coverage. what is the best way to mix it with the sand so that it will be even.
  2. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

how big of an area are you seeding? the seeds are very small...
  3. fastcat

5000-6000 sf
  4. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

Mix it with dry sand about 1:10 or more seed to sand.
  5. fastcat

thanks. any other opinions
  6. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Been doing this type of seeding for years.
    Buy two bags of Houactinite, get a clean 55 gallon plastic garbage can with handles and dump about one quarter of the Houactinite bag and just two pounds or so of the 25 lb pail of seed.
    Mix with a clean sharpshooter.
    Repeat the process until the entire bag of Houactinite and one half the pail of seed is in the garbage can.
    Then apply uniformly to the entire area to be seeded.
    The Houactinite acts as a buffering compound and is much easier to see and mix with than sand at light rates exiting whatever type of spreader you are using.
    Water in and repeat the entire process two weeks later. A bit of time, a bunch of water plus the ever present Texas sunshine and you'll have a decent turf stand.
  7. fastcat

what is some seed to sand ratios that some have used when mixing the two to sread with a broadcast spreader. i just tried a 1 sand to 1 seed mixture and it seemed to work pretty good.
  8. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

Bermuda is somewhat demanding to seed. Weeds and other grass grow faster and kill it. So it's usually sodded but I have my opinions on sod. Early spring is the best time to do it.

You already got your answer : fallow txgrassguy's instructions.

The soil needs to be tilled finely, add more sand to cover the seed with a thin film then water thoroughly. Once it grows it does'nt need much water.
  9. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

You can also use Turface from Lesco instead of sand, mix it well and hope you are putting it on dirt, if you are re seeding than I would say it won't take, the seed needs lot of sun to germinate, I know this from past experience, good luck and don't forget to post some pics when you get a lawn.