1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bermuda Seed hulled and un-hulled seed which is better

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Choctaw Scalper, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Choctaw Scalper

Choctaw Scalper LawnSite Member

I have a question. Last season I seeded and entire acre yard with hulled bermuda and had an excellent turnout. This year I had a few spots that were bare so I over seeded with un-hulled and had a horrible turnout. What is the difference between hulled and un-hulled other than the fact hulled has a hull on it?
  2. WetWell

WetWell LawnSite Member

Bermudagrass takes 10-30 days to germinate under ideal situations (adequate warm-moist 70+ degree soil conditions). Some seeds germinate faster and some take months longer. Hulled seed generally germinate faster than un-hulled Bermuda seed. It all depends on the soil and climate for the period after you plant. Bermudagrass loves hot moist soil to germinate. That is when it will germinate the fastest. Keeping adequate moisture throughout the day is also a critical factor. Watering more than once a day may be a requirement of your lawns soil & weather.

Bermudagrass seeds have a tough outer hull that can reduce germination time. Hulled seed have this seed coat removed and can be more desirable in many cases where the weather may be the important factor in establishment of the lawn, pasture or hay field. Sometimes hulled and unhulled seed will be sown together to insure a more successful and surer establishment. Most lawn varieties sold of Bermuda seed are coated and hulled. The coating is a clay based product applied with a fungicide and dye. The fungicide helps control seed and soil borne pathogens, while the coating material itself allows for more acceptable pricing of expensive seed. Raw seeds are seeds that have NOT been coated. Other than the lack of a fungicide there are nothing wrong with these seeds.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Very good answer from someone that knows what he is talking about.
  4. mikeylees lawn care

mikeylees lawn care LawnSite Member

I am doing aeration and overseeding for a customer who wants to seed with bermuda. Here in St Louis we have just come out of the heat wave and I want to get the seeding done as soon as possible to allow ample time for germination before the weather turns cold this fall. Is there any benifit of using hulled or un-hulled seed? Any other tips on how to get maximum germination? This is the first time I have ever worked with bermuda from seed. Thanks.
  5. Choctaw Scalper

Choctaw Scalper LawnSite Member

Man thanks for the great reply. That is exactly what I was looking for. I think I am going to go ahead with the hulled. I have had good luck with it the first time around. Here in North Texas it has been hotter them ever it seems. I am going to water a good 6 times a day to make sure it stays wet. Again thanks for the replies.