Bermuda seed

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by unkownfl, Mar 9, 2011.

1. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Where in CFL do I get Bermuda seed. I'm looking for something to cover a sandy yard. Customer has about 5000k of dirt/weeds he wants to over seed so it's not a dust storm in his yard but doesn't want to break the bank for sod. He knows he will have to stay off it for weeks and water multiple times a day for a few weeks. Anything else I should do besides just throw seed down and pray???

2. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

You should be able to buy from a local landscape supply store (i.e. John Deere Landscapes or Ewing) or farm supply store. Have you ever considered hydroseeding? You'd have to sub it out but the end result would be far superior to that of simply seeding...

3. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

I think I'm going to go with 3lbs per 1000 of JDL bermuda hulled raked in and watered three times daily once heavy two very light coats of irrigation during the day. I figure 25lbs over 8000 square ft. Does this sound ok?

4. h2oskier

h2oskier LawnSite Senior Member

Most bermuda seed will specify on the packaging to seed at the rate of between 2 to a max of 5 lb. per 1000 sq. ft. Hope this helps answer your question.:waving:

5. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

Unknown, I am not sure the carry it, but I would assume they would, but try sunniland fert up in sanford, I know when I was checking intro bahia seed for a customer, they were the cheapest by far.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. abrightday

abrightday LawnSite Member

Yup, Sunnyland has the seed at much better pricing than John Deere:waving:
    www.YourLandscapePro.com

7. Johnagain

Johnagain LawnSite Senior Member

BWI in Zellwood is the best place to get seed. They are the wholesale dealer that supplies most of the nurseries. I get all my seed from them. The argentine bahia is half the price of JDL because that's where JDL buys it from. Last year I paid about $75.00 for a 50lb bag. I haven't check on prices this year because it is far to early to plant grass seed.

www.bwicompanies.com

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  8. abrightday

abrightday LawnSite Member

Went on their site and they don't list bahia or bermuda grasses,,

9. bugsNbows

bugsNbows LawnSite Member

Walter always does his homework.

10. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

Home Depot carries it. Just picked up a large bag last week.