bermuda seeding Failure?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by junbb1, May 21, 2007.

1. junbb1

junbb1 LawnSite Member

Three weeks ago I tilled 4500sf six inches deep. three weeks prior i killed off all vege. w/ roundup. Completely leveled dirt and removed all rocks and debris. I applied lesco starter and re-drug. I applied lesco sunstar bermuda seed at a rate of 3lbs per 1000 as the label said I should. I mixed 10lbs of natural sand per 3lbs of seed to spread evenly. I even marked off areas of square footage. Began to water in with sprinkler that day. Did every thing by the book.

I have kept the soil moist daily with very very rarely ever drying out. watering 3 times. I only have 2 areas of about 2'x2' where the grass is coming up, and it began coming up just over a week ago. I have nothing coming up at all anywhere else.

Yes the yard gets plenty of sun.
    No there has not been a heavy rain to wash out. One of the patches is on a steep slope. and the other is on a slope. both at the top.

Should i be concerned or am i just impatient.
    I am worried.

2. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Bermuda rarely will germinate at the same time,but it also depends on your soil temps.They need to be above 65 degrees,at least,and the warmer,the better.
    That said,did you roll the seed into the soil?Bermuda needs to be 1/4" or less ,deep for good germination.If you planted too deep,some will not germinate, and some will,but just it will take longer.3 weeks isn't too bad,depending on your soil temps where you are.With soil temps in the 80's,bermuda can start to sprout in 7-10 days.

3. junbb1

junbb1 LawnSite Member

I did not bury the seed at all. it is so fine that i knew once i began to water in it would cover up. and it did. in 2 days i coud not see any seed. Weather was low to mid 80's the first 4 days then into the seventies. avg about 75 deg. and 50's at night. I know that is a little cool but its up in some spot so that is what had me concerned. We have had a couple of 80+ degree days since then.. It was cool last weekend high on sat in the 50's. and sixties on sunday.

I live in Greer SC. 15 minutes from Greenville. Its in the upstate. I keep up with the weather religously. Very little rain though. I think the cool not humid nights are hurting a little.

I did not roll but the seed bed was firm. I drug using a four wheeler

4. NickN

from Alabama

Well,you need seed to soil contact,hence the rolling of the seed into the soil.
    I estimate your soil temp to be around 62-65,so you're flirting with proper soil temp.Watering over the seed,with no soil contact,can cause the seed to wash,birds to eat it,wind to blow it,etc.,,
    It's still early, with your soil temp so low,so give it some more time.
    Also,at 3lbs per 1000,you're not going to get instant coverage.I like to use 6lbs per thousand.Gives the homeowner a bit more instant gratification and allows for some seed that won't germinate.3lbs will work,but just letting you know that it will take time to fill in.

5. junbb1

junbb1 LawnSite Member

thanks for your input. I have about 11 lbs of seed left over. Should i go ahead and spread it or should I wait, and fill in later

6. NickN

from Alabama

Wait until your soil temps warm up and stabalize.You can use a meat thermometer to read the temp(one starting at 0-130 degrees) or you can take your nightly low temps,plus your daily high temp,and divide by two.That will give you an "idea" of what the soil temp is.

7. junbb1

junbb1 LawnSite Member

still have nothing. I have alot of crabbgrass and spurge now. and i have a ton of what i believe is green kyllinga.

Should i round up these weeds and retry or just keep waiting?

My two areas are growing larger but still two very small patches.

And soil temp are well into the 70's

8. junbb1

junbb1 LawnSite Member

bump. anyone.