Bermuda Sod Advice

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by johnc847, Apr 18, 2012.

1. johnc847

johnc847 LawnSite Member

Can someone help me please? I just put this sod down last weekend. Is it looking ok? I dont understand why some of it is brown already. What do I need to do? Tips?

I put scotts starter fertilizer on it and watered it after I put it down and have watered it good.

2. johnc847

johnc847 LawnSite Member

for some reason it wont allow me to upload

3. johnc847

johnc847 LawnSite Member

4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Have you been keeping it watered? It's typical for a few pieces to turn brown but they will come back.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

You can't water that sod once and be good to go. You need to keep the soil under that sod damp for a week. Your fertilizer application probably helped suck up what water was there. Your lucky though, bermuda is very forgiving. You should get 99% of that grass back.

6. johnc847

johnc847 LawnSite Member

Yes I have. I put it down last Friday evening, watered it that night and Saturday Morning. It rained a lot Sunday so I didn't water it Monday, just this morning. I just don't want it to die. Is there something else I should put on it?

7. johnc847

johnc847 LawnSite Member

Sorry I wasn't clear on the watering in my first post. I've been watering it, just don't want to too much.

8. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

Just keep it watered well for the first few weeks until the roots take. Then you'll be back in the summer posting "Ahhhh, I have to cut my bermuda TWICE A WEEK! How do I get it to slow down?"

Bermuda is a VERY resiliant grass.

9. johnc847

johnc847 LawnSite Member

I'd love to cut it twice a week. I enjoy it. I can't wait.

10. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

Don't be scared to keep that sod SOAKED for the first few week's. Don't let it dry out at all. Bermuda can handle that easily. Don't put anything on it. Stressed out grass does not like fertilizer.