Bermuda Sod Install

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by cgaengineer, Sep 28, 2007.

1. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

This sod install was done at my own home. We ordered 14 pallets of 419. I used a Harley rake to prepare soil for new sod.

Here is a shot of the 14 pallets

Friends and family came to help install

It took us 2 days to install sod. We have very nosey neighbors who called water authority while we were installing and we were not even using any water. I guess they thought since we were installing sod we must have been using water. After we had some of the sod put down I got a friend of mines water container and we started filling it from a lake down the street with permission from the lake owner. My container holds 325 gallons which is not much, but its better than nothing. While watering lawn from my water tank using my 2" pump to pull water from tank and reduce the 2" to garden hose size so that I could use impact sprinklers my neighbor called the sheriff's department because I was outside watering. The sheriff came out and said I was illegally watering...I said "How so?" He said you have water running out on the ground, I said here's my pump, here's my tank...and I can show you where I am getting water from. He said OK, have a nice day and I will make a note so that I wont come back out here to bother you again sir. (This officer was friendly and just doing his job, and he told me he was tired of people calling about watering)

I took great satisfaction pissing my neighbor off while pressure washing my driveway all the while he was likely just looking for some way to burst my bubble.

I have upgraded my trailer to a tandem axle 10K trailer so not to worry about my landscape trailers axle breaking.
  2. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Any pics of the finished product??
  3. cgaengineer

Actually no, but I will take some tonight...we finished up late yesterday. I will post more this evening.
  4. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

You know I have been waiting to ask this question. Please don't take offense, I generally don't ask this question. What is the going rate for a pallet of 419?

I am considering laying sod in my lawn being I can't win the battle with Bermuda infesting my Fescue lawn. So I was just going to plant Bermuda.

5. cgaengineer

Well I assume the prices should be close where you are to here. I paid $85 per pallet for 12 pallets total delivery included. I got 2 extra pallets at $70 each as they had a few extra pallets on truck and had nowhere to put them.

As far as quality I would rate this sod an 7 out of 10, 10 being the best I have seen. Some of the slabs were thicker on one side and some were downright garbage. I had a small JohnDeere yard cart full of junk pieces. My lower score also has to do with the time of the year and the drought we are under causing poor looking bermuda.

When I called around for prices the particular company I used was $5-$10 cheaper than most, but the highest price being $130 per pallet with a $70 delivery charge.
  6. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

You could not get the sod company to spot the pallets? That would be a nightmare hauling all of those pallets to the backyard by hand!
  7. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Man and I thought we had bad neighbors. Why such strict watering restrictions. Usually when you put in a new yard you can water as much as needed even in drought conditions.
  8. JoeinJasper

JoeinJasper LawnSite Member

Check with your local water supplier. Ga. restrictions allow a 30 day exemption for new landscape installations. Joe
  9. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

cgaengineer you have 30 days, but write yourself out a receipt because homeowner installed landscaping is not part of the exception. I think its a great time to put it down with temps being mild, just needs some water to lock in before winter.....
  10. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats what I was thinking!!! I could have laid all 14 in oneday solo if they were spotted. With 3 guys there (3 in the pic) that should have only taken a couple of hours. Good job on pissing off the neighbors, thats always fun. Post some finished pics.