1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bermuda Sod Job

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jas4906, Jan 19, 2007.

1. jas4906

jas4906 LawnSite Member

I have been in the sod business for a little over a year. For the last year, I have installed primary Floratam and Bahia Sod. Today, I got a phone call from a high school requesting pricing to install Bermuda Sod in the infield of their baseball field. This will be my first Bermuda Sod job. In florida we hardly use Bermuda unless it is on a athletic field or golf course. The baseball field has never had a grass infield, therefore it surface is the existing red clay. There is approx. 2 inches of clay over the top of a sandy base soil. Can anyone give some pointers? My intentions are to go in loosen the existing clay soil a lay the Bermuda directly over the top. This will be also my first job at installing sod from a roll. I am planning to take two pieces of pipe a 3" and a 2 1/2" pipe. Plan to slide the 3" over the 2 1/2" pipe hook chains to the 2 1/2 inch pipe and attach to my tree boom on my Kubota R520. Slowly reverse the tractor while my guys roll the sod out. Once we get the sod layed in place I will hand roll it with a 150lb roller. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks you...
  2. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

You are on the right track....To be honest, you can lay Bermuda on Concrete, and it will grow....especially with warm weather and lots of rain.....Good luck, but just follow you plan.....Bermuda is sort of a no brainer sod....lol.....
  3. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I would Harley Rake or till the clay to loosen it up a bit before laying the Bermuda - the infield area is probably compacted from continuous field dragging and prep. I agree that Bermuda will grow on most any soil , but it will do best if you loosen up the soil some.