bermuda sod with some fescue coming up in it what do i do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walterslawn&landscap, Mar 12, 2003.

1. walterslawn&landscap

walterslawn&landscap LawnSite Member

i have a customer who put down bermuda sod last year and this year and has some stuff coming up in it . it looks like fescue but not real sure what do i do to get it out ? it is not all over but there is a lot of it . they said they would like me to get it out and would pay me for the work. what do you charge to do something like this?

2. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

You sure its not poa anna? How tall is it?

3. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

IF it's Fescue, you coulda spritzed it with Roundup last month, but it may be dangerous to do it now. Mowing low also helps eradicate the Tall Fescue.

Annual Bluegrass has a boat shaped leaf end and distinctive seed heads, I think. Look for that.

4. Thompson Lawns

Thompson Lawns LawnSite Member
    from OK

If the lawn is healthy enough, the bermuda should choke it out this spring.

5. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

Never use roundup over bermuda unless you are certain it it toally dormant. I suggest trying a burn agent like diquat. It will burn the bermuda down, but won't kill it. If the bermuda is mostly dormant it should be fine. The diquat just burns the leaves.

6. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

There a few chemicals that can be applied to kill out the fescue with minimal damage to the Bermuda. Atrazine,chlorsulfuron(corsair), diclofop is a good one, also Manor. The bermuda should choke out the Fescue in no time at all,too, if you choose no chemicals.

7. UTM-PIKE

UTM-PIKE LawnSite Member

The stoloniferous and rhizomatous growth habits of bermuda usually spread at a rate of 1 inch per week, sometimes more depending on the nutrients of the soil. My bet would be sell him on an aeration and fert. job. The bermuda will likely choke out the other species of grass as everyone else has commented. Its pretty hard to get rid of bermuda, its a hardy plant, and an excellent warm season variety for us in Tennessee. Once the bermuda comes out of dormancy, which is in a couple more weeks, the homeowner will probably not even notice.

Where are you from in Middle Tennesse?

8. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I think UTM has the best solution so far! Just wait until the Bermuda is fully greened up.

9. walterslawn&landscap

walterslawn&landscap LawnSite Member

thanks guys great info. UTM-PIKE i am on the tennessee alabama line south of nashville.

10. UTM-PIKE

UTM-PIKE LawnSite Member

You might be able to spray round-up to "release" the bermuda. Up in northern middle tn. I noticed that most of our bermuda is still fully dormant. The thicker and denser the stand, the warmer it gets faster, the quicker it comes out of dormancy. So check closely before you go spraying round up. It doesnt have any residual effect, so if it gets warm next week, the round up will not bother the newly shooting bermuda.

Also, make sure that the "green stuff" is not "star of bethlehem", which is almost impossible to get out. It looks like minature monkey grass. I dont think roundup will get it. Ive asked my proffessors before.