1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bermuda sod

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jay Ray, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Have some small patches to make on a Bermuda lawn. None of the nurseries here stock Bermuda sod, so have to order a 1 pallet minimum or get none. Everybody stocks St. Aug and centipede.

I would guess that Bermuda doesn't stay alive on the pallet as well as other warm season grasses. Somebody please educate me as to the actual reason.
  2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Um, bermuda does stay alive on the pallet. But what about buying bermuda seed? Can you just buy a bag of seed?
  3. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Heat index was 104 at eight this morning, but I will give the customer the option of having it seeded, or cutting plugs from the existing lawn around the bad spots and placing them in new topsoil.
  4. iluvbermuda

iluvbermuda LawnSite Member
    from S/E TN

I wouldn't know why none of the nurseries in your area don't stock Bermuda, especially this time of year. As far as staying alive on the pallet--Bermuda is tops as far as I have seen. Now none of it should be left on the pallet no matter the kind. But, if you have to leave a kind on the pallet--Bermuda would bounce back better than any. Here, I pay about $85 for a pallet covering 504 sq. ft. This is Tifway 419 Bermuda.
  5. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks jwingfield and iluvbermuda. Good thing Regis wasn't asking me the question for a million, or even 500.
  6. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

where in MS is that? any larger towns nearby that would have a nursery selling sod by individual pieces?
  7. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

In the summer for about a day. Then you will start to lose it. And no you cannot buy seed for the best kinds of bermuda. They are hybrids. The seed is sterile.
  8. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I would think this would be the time of year to aerate bermuda. You can plug it.
  9. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks everybody. This is coastal Mississippi, Mike. They don't stock Bermuda because it is unpopular, sells slowly, and losses are too high. I finally asked a nurseyman, showing my ignorance, but the guy didn't mind.

Several guys have told me not to aerate anything until we are out of the high heat, high stress part of the season, say a little after Labor day. Plugging is probably best, as you say Tharrell.