Bermuda (sp?) grass

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by mbg, Feb 23, 2006.

1. mbg

mbg LawnSite Member

OK, I'm new ... get your shots in here!
    How do we get rid of Bermuda grass before placing new sod?
    Customer has about 1700 sf to replace, we want to do it right and affordable.
    Any suggestions?
    Guy

2. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I believe the best answer is to MOVE:laugh: :laugh:
    The deep rooted stuff is near impossable to kill, and even harder if you are in a hurry.

3. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

PMLAWN is right, you've got a tough problem. Glyphosate will take it down, but given time, it seems to recover. To completely eradicate it, methyl bromide or some other soil fumigant maybe your best bet, but that's an expensive proposition and beyond the scope of most LCO's

4. mbg

mbg LawnSite Member

Thanks, for the input! It seems that a notice to the customer of HIS delema is the safest way to get out of long term responsibility.

5. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I spray with roundup heavily 2 different times a week apart. Cover with sod...and tell the customer that there is a good chance it could still come back.

6. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

We had one 2 years ago where we sprayed all year - each time it came back, Had nothing but dirt (and mud) all summer. put sod down in fall and by late Aug this past summer it was starting to show again.
    The homeowner hates the stuff. He is moving( but not for that reason:laugh: :laugh: )and wants to check the lawn before he bids on a house:)

7. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, but too bad it is illegal to use methyl bromide now.

8. BRAD'S LAWN CARE

BRAD'S LAWN CARE LawnSite Member

Roundup did i say Roundup i would soak that yard in roundup!!!

9. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

we work with a lot of bermuda.

it is the 800 pound gorilla of turfgrasses.

being persistant with roundup will work. Just remember that roundup has NO soil activity. It hav to contact a leaf to work, so if you do not see any green bermuda blades, it will not work.

the other two chemicals that will work are fusilade, and vantage. these are selective herbicides, and will selectively kill the bermuda.

10. turflon d and accliam extra , both will suppress the bermunda