Bermuda spreading into my fescue

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by tsh1773, Sep 1, 2004.

1. tsh1773

tsh1773 LawnSite Senior Member

I live in a subdivision. Most of the newly built houses and yards are being sodded with Bermuda. Mine was sodded with tall fescue. I am noticing a good bit of bermuda in with my fescue. How can I stop the the bermuda from overtaking my fescue without damaging the fescue?

2. re151731

re151731 LawnSite Member

Good luck, The only way I know of to get rid of it is by using roundup.This will kill your fescue although.

3. therainman

therainman LawnSite Member
    from IL

I have since sold my biz., but have an ex account that would like me to get rid of the bermuda in their lawn. I went to my dad who is in the golf biz and he suggets a chemical called tuperson. Having trouble finding much onfo, but it was apparently used to convert bermuda greens to bent...Anyone eles know anything?????

Thanks
    Shawn

4. pilotcoplawnboy

pilotcoplawnboy LawnSite Member

There is no good way to get rid of the Bermuda other than to kill it. Another suggestion is to put some type of border between your lawn and the Bermuda lawn. It's funny how Bermuda always wins in the grass spreading war. How many times have you seen fescue taking over Bermuda?

5. slick001

slick001 LawnSite Member

Bermuda grass had taken over the front half of my back yard. I just sprayed it with round up (1/2 acre), then tilled it up and replanted fescue.

The main guy at my local co-op seems to know his chemicals and lawns very well, I think he has some kind of degree in Agriculture.

He sold me a gallon on this stuff that will kill the bermuda out of the fescue.
    This should work in the rest of my yard where it is mixed with just a little bermuda, before it takes over.
    It is very expensive (119 bucks) and you have to be very careful to exactly follow the directions about when you put it on, as to not damage the fescue you want to keep. He says if you follow the directions just right , the bermuda will die right out.

I haven't read all of the labels yet, but here is what it is:
    Ornamec grass herbicide. I think it used mainly for killing grasses around plants and shrubs, however he stocks it for his landscapers who use it to kill the bermuda out of fescues or zoysia.

It looks like you use 20-24 ounces per acre in at least 30 gallons of water.
    It says to spray in spring and fall, and also your turf will show slight discoloration after application for 10-14 days but will recover and the bermuda will die off.

Good luck with it, hope yours don't get so bad you have to kill it all and start over!